Head of Investments
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2022
Why be with company?
We all know what a great neighborhood feels like. The sad reality is that every day, our neighborhoods are losing their character, authenticity, and sense of community. From Main Streets to Manhattan, our beloved local businesses are being pushed out at unprecedented rates, replaced with corporate brands or empty storefronts. America is losing its small business backbone—its diversity, energy, and competitive edge.
withco empowers small businesses to become property owners so that they obtain the control, wealth, and permanence only afforded through ownership. We've raised $30M+ from the world's best investors, including Founders Fund, Canaan Partners, Initialized Capital, NFX, and celebrities like Venus Williams and Kevin Durant. Join our mission to make it exciting to be a small business owner in America again!
How you'll help us succeed
As Head of Investments, you’ll develop, iterate, and refine our investment thesis and oversee its execution in the short- and long-term by leading our Investments team. In doing so, you’ll help drive forward and inform our end-to-end real estate acquisition strategy - from sourcing and underwriting individual transactions, to leading our due diligence processes, to coordinating customer relationships with Business Development, to building tools and models that scale our ability to get deals done.
This role matches the breadth and real world impact of real estate investing with the agency and responsibility of a startup, all the while breaking ground on a fundamentally new model of real estate ownership. We're looking for an investor-operator who can not only use their judgement to make sound investment decisions, but also leverage their experience to scale our impact to thousands of deals and thousands of small businesses served. You'll be a member of our executive team and report directly to our Founder & CEO.
What you'll do
- Set investment theses across geographies and industries based on research and data and execute - define and manage investment decisions on a deal-by-deal and portfolio basis
- Partner with Product to design and build underwriting and execution tools that scale our impact and ability to get deals done more efficiently
- Develop our onboarding and Asset Management transition process to allow seamless transition from deal to customer
- Recruit, mentor, and coach our Investments team
- Help spearhead capital raises
What makes you a great fit
- 10+ years experience in investing across the full life cycle of real estate deals, ideally across the capital stack
- Strong point of view on small business credit underwriting and risk management
- Track record of developing and proving investment theses, evidenced by your portfolio, financial modeling expertise, and professional network
- Experience and network in capital markets
- Ability to motivate and manage a team around our values; passion for small business commercial real estate and desire to help each partner with potentially the most important transaction of her life
The estimated base salary range for this position is $200,000-225,000.
It’s important to us that you are an owner. We strive to be highly competitive with our compensation package, which includes base salary, generous early-stage equity, and exceptional benefits. Using industry benchmarking and market best practices, we ensure we are externally competitive and internally fair. The salary range posted may vary based on your knowledge, skills, qualifications, and level of experience as it relates to the job.
- Support small: We invent, build, and execute to meaningfully improve the lives of our small business partners. We put in the work to look out for their best interests because their success is our success.
- Own, don't rent: We are relentlessly resourceful, "do what we say we'll do", and care about the details. When we see a problem, we roll up our sleeves because it's our responsibility to take care of it.
- 1% better every day: We constantly improve and drive towards hitting ambitious goals. We operate from a place of humility and upcycle mistakes into feedback and learnings. We focus on outcomes, look for opportunity, and celebrate a growth-mindset.
- Hustle to honesty: We seek to quickly get to the truth, especially if it's scary or inconvenient. We assume positive intent and are open, honest, and direct about problems.
- Think critically, act quickly: We utilize first principles and diverse perspectives to prioritize the right problems and solutions. We have a bias for action to rapidly and rigorously test hypotheses, show evidence of progress with data, and then double down on what works.
Are you with company?
We believe in building a company that puts employees first and helps them live and see our mission in action. To further support your growth and wellbeing at withco, we also offer you:
- Competitive equity in an early-stage, high-growth company
- Company paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their dependents
- Unlimited PTO and Work From Anywhere August
- Paid parental leave
- 401k retirement savings plan
- Commuter and FSA/HSA benefits
- A flexible work-life policy and company lunch once a week (we’re in the office Tuesday to Thursday!)
- A curriculum of retreats, workshops, and dinners to learn from small business entrepreneurs across America who have perfected their crafts over generations
withco is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We care about building a uniquely diverse, energetic, inclusive, and service-oriented team—one that understands, cares about, and represents the different communities we aim to serve. We especially encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ, and others who are underrepresented in the technology and real estate industries to apply. You’ll be a mission-critical team member. Are you with company?
See more open positions at withco
Something looks off?