Deputy Compliance Officer - AML
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2023
Reduce inequity by helping immigrants move money home by becoming the leading cross-border fintech for immigrants.
-> Founded by Harvard grads / 3rd-time founders --- also founded Segovia (successful exit) and GiveDirectly (>300M revenue, fastest-growing NGO).
-> Top performers from top and varied organizations (e.g., Bain, Bolt, Google, McKinsey, SafeBoda, Uber, Zipline) --- we like moving fast, and we hire people that do as well.
-> Driven by mission, guided by values (see below) – in deed, not just word.
-> Team as global as the mission, >30 languages from 25 countries (i.e., if you’re interested in learning to make Chicken Moambe, we’re the place).
Taptap Send is backed by top VCs (Spark, Canaan, Reid Hoffman, Breyer Capital, etc.), rapidly growing and a great place for those looking for both impact and a fast-paced tech startup environment. Read more about the journey in Reid Hoffman’s words or TechCrunch article
Launched in 2019, Taptap is tapping into a transformative shift in global finance: from banks to phones. While this has affected wealthier countries as well, it has been nothing short of a revolution for the emerging markets where the overwhelming majority of population had been unable to access digital finance previously. Its first product, Taptap Send, allows immigrants to send money home instantly and with no fee*, saving money in the process. With a formal market size of >700B alone, we’ve got a lot more saving to do for our users. And that’s just the beginning….
Spark Capital, Canaan, Reid Hoffman, Breyer Capital (Jim Breyer), Unbound (Shravin Mittal), Wamda (Fadi Ghandour), Firstminute Capital, Slow Ventures (Sam Lessin), Helios Partners (Souleymane Ba), Crossbeam Ventures (Ali Hamed), Nikesh Arora, Samih Toukan, and many other context-specific angels
*We charge fees for transfers on fixed exchange rate corridors (e.g., XOF, XAF).
We’re seeking a seasoned compliance professional with 7+ years of experience for our US business, a regulated Money Service Business from which we serve customers across the US. The role is full-time and can be based anywhere in the US, though the ideal candidate will be situated in one of our hubs (e.g. New York, Atlanta).
The Deputy Compliance Officer will work alongside the US Compliance Officer and own the AML compliance and SAR program for Taptap Send’s US business. In addition to working on our core compliance management system, the Deputy Compliance Officer will also work closely with product and other stakeholders to support in the scoping and implementation of new products within our rapidly growing US business and beyond.
- Assist the Compliance Officer in developing and implementing compliance policies and procedures that align with regulatory requirements and the company’s business objectives
- Implement industry best practices around prevention of money laundering and regulatory reporting processes
- Review Enhanced Due Diligence (EDD) cases and relevant KYC documents
- Conduct investigations into suspicious transactions that are picked up by our financial crime team
- Assist the Compliance Officer and wider Financial Crime team with ensuring quality control standards and technical aspects of SAR filings are compliant with regulatory guidelines
- Prepare investigative reports for management including reporting related to departmental tracking
- Provide guidance, support, and recommendations to other Compliance functions regarding customer AML risk ratings and account activity
- Investigate and resolve compliance related issues, and escalate issues to the Compliance Officer when necessary
- Receive and process Grand Jury subpoenas, 314(b) requests and Court Orders
- Receive and process formal complaints
- Conduct periodic compliance assessments and audits to identify potential areas of non compliance, and recommend corrective actions
- Engage with independent reviewers explaining all areas within your domain, and lead implementation of any remediations and findings (working closely with other stakeholders)
- Work closely with the business lines to identify and assess compliance risks associated with new products, services, or activities
- Minimum of 7+ years experience in AML Compliance
- Analytical prowess - strong excel skills and the ability to use data to your advantage is a must for all roles at Taptap Send
- CAMS or are willing and able to qualify for CAMS within 3-4 months of starting the role
- Sound knowledge in BSA / AML regulatory requirements within the US
- The ability to work independently and balance priorities while seeing the bigger picture
- A ‘No task too small’ mentality
Win with grit.
Be proactively candid, with yourself and others.
Love the particular.
Create positive energy.
Maybe, even have fun.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Taptap Send is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. All employment decisions are decided on the basis of qualifications, experience and business need. We strongly encourage applications who are members of underrepresented communities to apply.
If you require reasonable adjustments to be made during the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to let us know. Any information you provide us in this respect will only be used to accommodate your requirements.
Note: we recognize imposter syndrome is real - any candidate that does not perfectly fit every characteristic of this role is still strongly encouraged to apply.