Country Manager, Philippines (US or CA based)
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2023
Reduce inequity by helping immigrants move money home by becoming the leading cross-border fintech for immigrants.
-> Founded by Harvard grads / 3rd-time founders --- also founded Segovia (successful exit) and GiveDirectly (>300M revenue, fastest-growing NGO).
-> Top performers from top and varied organizations (e.g., Bain, Bolt, Google, McKinsey, SafeBoda, Uber, Zipline) --- we like moving fast, and we hire people that do as well.
-> Driven by mission, guided by values (see below) – in deed, not just word.
-> Team as global as the mission, >30 languages from 25 countries (i.e., if you’re interested in learning to make Chicken Moambe, we’re the place).
Taptap Send is backed by top VCs (Spark, Canaan, Reid Hoffman, Breyer Capital, etc.), rapidly growing and a great place for those looking for both impact and a fast-paced tech startup environment. Read more about the journey in Reid Hoffman’s words or TechCrunch article
Launched in 2019, Taptap is tapping into a transformative shift in global finance: from banks to phones. While this has affected wealthier countries as well, it has been nothing short of a revolution for the emerging markets where the overwhelming majority of population had been unable to access digital finance previously. Its first product, Taptap Send, allows immigrants to send money home instantly and with no fee*, saving money in the process. With a formal market size of >700B alone, we’ve got a lot more saving to do for our users. And that’s just the beginning….
Spark Capital, Canaan, Reid Hoffman, Breyer Capital (Jim Breyer), Unbound (Shravin Mittal), Wamda (Fadi Ghandour), Firstminute Capital, Slow Ventures (Sam Lessin), Helios Partners (Souleymane Ba), Crossbeam Ventures (Ali Hamed), Nikesh Arora, Samih Toukan, and many other context-specific angels
*We charge fees for transfers on fixed exchange rate corridors (e.g., XOF, XAF).
As the Philippines Country Manager your role will be to develop and scale Taptap Send’s growth amongst the diaspora in key sender-side markets: US and Canada to start.
You will be excited to manage every aspect of growth in said markets: customer acquisition and retention strategy, pricing, user research, product quality, customer experience, team development and coaching. You will have an acute “own it” mindset, equally obsessed with the experience of individual users as with iterating and optimizing scalable growth tactics and processes.
You will have P&L ownership, delivering the growth and profitability targets for the Philippines market. You will seek to establish TTS as the leading product/service for sending remittances to the Philippines, whilst being the “face” of the Philippines both internally and externally. Reporting directly into the Regional Director for Asia, and building and leading a team of growth managers on the ground in sending markets, the role offers the chance to join an early-stage, high growth startup and to have a positive impact on the communities we serve.
- Establish a vision, strategy and execution plan for the Philippines and all send
- Lead the team on the ground to execute within collaboratively aligned timelines
- Manage every aspect of growth across the sending countries: customer acquisition and retention strategy, pricing, user research, product quality, customer experience, team development and coaching
- Report to the executive leadership team on progress, insights and needs, leveraging operational prowess with a data-driven test-and-learn mindset
- Think creatively on ways to unlock growth, improve profitability and increase brand awareness
- Hire, inspire, develop and retain top, diverse talent
- Collaborate closely with both internal and external stakeholders including the Customer Service, Finance, Tech, Legal, Financial Crime, Compliance, People Ops and more
- Build trust-based relationships with diaspora communities and commercial partners in the Philippines to increase brand awareness and unlock growth and unit economics improvements
- Monitor, understand, and interpret specific growth, operational, and financial metrics to improve execution
- Recommend improvements to product experience based on market, competitor and customer insights and feedback
- Strong preference to be based in the US, Canada or Europe with requisite Right to Work.
- Ability to travel internationally periodically and ad-hoc to meet customers, partners and team members
- Exceptional knowledge and networks in the the Philippines diaspora
- Advanced stakeholder management capability
- Experience building, developing, managing and leading teams
- Strong analytical skills and ability to make data-driven decisions. Familiarity with pulling and presenting insights from data using Excel / Google suite. SQL, Python, R is a plus
- 7 to 15 years experience in a fast paced and high growth-environment such as startups, operations, consulting, finance, or similar
- An acute “own it” mindset, equally obsessed with the experience of individual users as with iterating and optimizing scalable growth tactics and processes
- Bachelors or Advanced degree
- Fluency in English and Tagalog; other languages a plus
Also you are:
- Execution oriented - we have an “impact first” philosophy and a lot to be done. You should be able to prioritize and take ideas to implementation
- Customer-centric - you love speaking to people and enjoy building meaningful relationships with customers and community members across cultures
- Mission-Oriented - you are passionate about working with immigrant communities and/or financial inclusion
- Flexible - you are comfortable setting your working hours to accomplish your goals, including work commitments on nights and weekends (e.g., events or customer meetings)
- Organized - you have a system for how you approach your work that can keep you on track in a scrappy startup environment
- Driven - you thrive in fast-paced, target oriented environments
Benefits (specifics depend on geography)
- Competitive pay (based on experience)
- Flexible hours
- Regular team events
- Travel (as necessary for the role)
- Good personal & public holidays (by market)
- Pension contribution (by market / type of contract)
- Other additional benefits per location/market
Win with grit.
Be proactively candid, with yourself and others.
Love the particular.
Create positive energy.
Maybe, even have fun.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Taptap Send is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. All employment decisions are decided on the basis of qualifications, experience and business need. We strongly encourage applications who are members of underrepresented communities to apply.
If you require reasonable adjustments to be made during the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to let us know. Any information you provide us in this respect will only be used to accommodate your requirements.
Note: we recognize imposter syndrome is real - any candidate that does not perfectly fit every characteristic of this role is still strongly encouraged to apply.