Senior/Lead Data Engineer - UK / Remote
Posted on Saturday, January 7, 2023
Reduce inequity by helping immigrants move money home by becoming the leading cross-border fintech for immigrants.
-> Founded by Harvard grads / 3rd-time founders --- also founded Segovia (successful exit) and GiveDirectly (>300M revenue, fastest-growing NGO).
-> Top performers from top and varied organizations (e.g., Bain, Bolt, Google, McKinsey, SafeBoda, Uber, Zipline) --- we like moving fast, and we hire people that do as well.
-> Driven by mission, guided by values (see below) – in deed, not just word.
-> Team as global as the mission, >30 languages from 25 countries (i.e., if you’re interested in learning to make Chicken Moambe, we’re the place).
Taptap Send is backed by top VCs (Spark, Canaan, Reid Hoffman, Breyer Capital, etc.), rapidly growing and a great place for those looking for both impact and a fast-paced tech startup environment. Read more about the journey in Reid Hoffman’s words or TechCrunch article
Launched in 2019, Taptap is tapping into a transformative shift in global finance: from banks to phones. While this has affected wealthier countries as well, it has been nothing short of a revolution for the emerging markets where the overwhelming majority of population had been unable to access digital finance previously. Its first product, Taptap Send, allows immigrants to send money home instantly and with no fee*, saving money in the process. With a formal market size of >700B alone, we’ve got a lot more saving to do for our users. And that’s just the beginning….
Spark Capital, Canaan, Reid Hoffman, Breyer Capital (Jim Breyer), Unbound (Shravin Mittal), Wamda (Fadi Ghandour), Firstminute Capital, Slow Ventures (Sam Lessin), Helios Partners (Souleymane Ba), Crossbeam Ventures (Ali Hamed), Nikesh Arora, Samih Toukan, and many other context-specific angels
*We charge fees for transfers on fixed exchange rate corridors (e.g., XOF, XAF).
As a Data Engineer, you will create components of a modern data platform that will be the foundation of Taptap Send’s decision-making ability. The systems you help create and the problems you help solve,, will be pivotal to the success of TTS.
This role is key to the success of TTS. You will play a critical part in the functioning of every team, with stakeholders ranging from customer success,, growth, markets,, product, and finance.
The Data Engineer will be implementing critical data pipelines, and innovating and improving infrastructure to support these pipelines while advancing best practices in privacy and data and information security.
- Apply automation mindset and DevSecOps principles to data systems and architectures
- Integrate with APIs of 3rd party data sets to enable data pipelines and reporting use cases
- Build data systems and pipelines using SaaS systems like Amazon DMS and DBT Cloud
- Build solutions to various business objectives using your technical skills and your extensive understanding of the TTS data landscape
- Collaborate with the product engineering team and the data analytics team, serving as a bridge between the two.
- Analyse and organise raw data
- Prepare data for prescriptive and predictive modelling
- Explore ways to enhance data quality and reliability
- Collaborate with data scientists and analysts on several projects
- Knowledge of programming languages (e.g. Java and Python)
- Hands-on experience with relational databases (like PostgreSQL) and data warehouses (like AWS Redshift)
- Familiar with data modeling and data governance concepts, and agile methodologies
- Familiarity with industry toolsets: Stitch, DMS, etc…
- Statistics knowledge, analytical skills, and an understanding of big data technologies
- Previous experience as a data engineer or in a similar role
- Technical expertise with data models
- Great numerical and analytical skills
- Degree in Computer Science, IT, or similar field; a Master’s is a plus or seven years' equivalent experience
Win with grit.
Be proactively candid, with yourself and others.
Love the particular.
Create positive energy.
Maybe, even have fun.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Taptap Send is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. All employment decisions are decided on the basis of qualifications, experience and business need. We strongly encourage applications who are members of underrepresented communities to apply.
If you require reasonable adjustments to be made during the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to let us know. Any information you provide us in this respect will only be used to accommodate your requirements.
Note: we recognize imposter syndrome is real - any candidate that does not perfectly fit every characteristic of this role is still strongly encouraged to apply.