Senior Devops Engineer
At Shara, we’re building for a future where African banking is free, frictionless, branchless, and driven by user experience, where banks are an enabler of the economy, not a tax on it. Where bankers no longer get away with mopping up deposits of the masses to lend to the few. We believe this future of banking is inevitable, and we want to be the first to build it.
We’re an all-in team of founder-quality people across Kenya, Nigeria, and the US, looking for peers to join us. We care about results, not hours logged. We’re not for box checkers, those who need hand-holding, or those seeking to build a better mousetrap.
If you’re more comfortable in a Nairobi market or Lagos bus stop than a big corporate office, and want to work with switched-on product, engineering, and finance teams building for millions of underserved African SMEs and consumers, we’d love to chat with you. If you’re a no-drama, roll-up your sleeves, hop on a flight tomorrow, a customer-driven person who can build from day one, we can’t wait for you to join us.
About this role
We’re looking for a DevOps Engineer to join our Infrastructure squad and help build a modern, scalable infrastructure that will help redefine what’s possible in payments.
In this role, you will:
- Communicate effectively, in writing and in person, about your work.
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to identify DevOps needs and deliver solutions to help the organizaation achieve its goals.
- Take ownership of and standardize the process of how repositories, CI/CD templates etc are created and maintained.
- Enable teams to integrate and deploy code with CI/CD pipelines in a manner that is secure, reliable and efficient.
- Own the automation of build, testing, and deployment of web, mobile and backend applications.
- Develop appropriate metrics to demonstrate system performance and agility using appropriate monitoring tools to improve operational efficiency
- Take a high level of ownership and responsibility for your work.
What you bring to the table
- 2+ years experience with Google cloud platform.
- Experience with setting up and running a CI/CD pipeline, clusters, storage networks, VMs and Containers
- 3+ years experience with configuration management and orchestration tools (eg. Ansible, Puppet, Helm, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes)
- Hands-on experience architecting and building large-scale, highly available distributed systems/applications.
- A strong DevSecOps background demonstrated by the ability to reduce barriers for fellow team members while simultaneously improving the security of the organization.
- Excellent communication skills and be able to effectively communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Ability to craft well-written technical documentation.
- Prior experience working on core banking infrastructure or in payments is a plus.
- Terraform, Terragrunt, Shell Scripts
- Istio, Anthos Service Mesh. Anthos Configuration Management
- Java, NodeJS, React Native, Spring Boot
- Postgres, MySQL, BigQuery.
- Kafka, CircleCI, GCP, AWS, Kubernetes, Docker.
- Datadog, Sentry, Prometheus