Engineer, Core Banking
This role can be based anywhere. Proximity or travel to Shara's Nairobi, Lagos, Abuja, or Washington DC hubs is encouraged.
At Shara, we’re building for a future where African banking is free, frictionless, branchless, and driven by user experience. Where banks are an enabler of the economy, not a tax on it. Where bankers no longer get away with mopping up deposits of the masses, to lend to the few. We believe this future of banking is inevitable, and we want to be the first to build it.
We’re an all-in team of founder-quality people across Kenya, Nigeria, and the US, looking for peers to join us. We care about results, not hours logged. We’re not for box checkers, those who need hand-holding, or those seeking to build a better mousetrap.
If you’re more comfortable in a Nairobi market or Lagos bus stop than a big corporate office, and want to work with switched-on product, engineering, and finance teams building for millions of underserved African SMEs and consumers, we’d love to chat with you. If you’re a no-drama, roll-up your sleeves, hop on a flight tomorrow, customer-driven person who can build from day one, we can’t wait for you to join us.
About this role
We’re looking for an Engineer to join our Core Banking squad and build a modern core banking infrastructure, designed so we can seamlessly spin up a full suite of financial products to serve various markets, at scale.
In this role, you will:
- Build new product features and highly performant microservices.
- Write clean code which is well-tested and well-documented.
- Take a high level of ownership and responsibility for the work that you do.
- Work closely with cross-functional stakeholders such as Product Managers, Designers, and others to successfully execute and deliver features.
- Make tradeoffs that consider business priorities, user experience, and a sustainable technical foundation.
What you bring to the table
- Strong technical background, with 5+ years of hands-on experience, using Java, Spring Boot, or other strongly-typed languages (Go, Scala, etc).
- Hands-on experience architecting and building large-scale, highly available distributed systems/applications.
- Experience working with relational databases, schema design, and performing query optimizations.
- Leverage automated tests and observability tooling to help ship features to production with confidence.
- A good understanding of CI/CD tools, and containerization (Docker/Kubernetes).
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to articulate complex, technical concepts to any audience.
- Ability to craft well-written technical design documentation.
- Prior experience working on core banking infrastructure or in payments is a plus.
- Java, NodeJS, React Native.
- Postgres, MySQL, BigQuery.
- Kafka, CircleCI, GCP, AWS, Kubernetes, Docker.
- Datadog, Sentry.