General Counsel, Chief Compliance Officer, and Corporate Secretary
Relievant Medsystems, Inc.
Join our vision to transform the treatment of chronic low back pain. As a 2023 Gallup Exceptional Workplace Award winner, we have an active and engaging culture where your contributions will lead to a meaningful career. Our inclusive and collaborative environment enables employees to thrive by practicing our core values of integrity, passions, respect, collaboration, creativity, and achievement. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package to our employees.
Relievant seeks an experienced attorney to serve as its first General Counsel, Chief Compliance Officer, and Corporate Secretary. This position will serve as the principal legal and compliance officer, counseling key organizational stakeholders. This hands-on position is for an individual with broad and well-developed skills, excellent judgment, high EQ, and good business sense, allowing them to make valuable contributions immediately. The Ideal candidate will be curious, self-reliant, and able to distill complex problems to provide streamlined, practical legal advice to a very fast-paced, commercially focused team.
- Provides advice and counsel to Company executives and management concerning governance, contracting, healthcare and privacy compliance, risk management, corporate policies, communication and strategy.
- Serve as the Company’s Corporate Secretary, partnering with the CEO, CFO, Board of Directors, and Committees to draft and maintain key corporate documents, minutes, and records. Ensures compliance with, and maintenance of, corporate governance guidelines and Board Committee charters.
- Provides executive oversight of healthcare and privacy compliance and business ethics program to assure appropriate employee compliance training, conflict of interest disclosures and management, timely investigation of any alleged compliance issues, creation of corrective action and discipline plans, and performance of compliance monitoring as appropriate.
- Engages, monitors, and reviews all work and expenditures for outside counsel to ensure quality and efficacy of legal services – Tend to and resolve any legal disputes or complaints; establish legal strategies involving litigation or potential litigation or disputes.
- Lead, from beginning to end, the structuring, drafting, reviewing, negotiating and closing of all commercial contracts, including sales agreements, service agreements, collaborations, co-marketing, data use, consulting agreements, amendments and related documents, including building and maintaining a contract database.
- Oversee IP portfolio and strategy in coordination with R&D and outside counsel.
- Lead preparation of the Company’s S-1 for an initial public offering (IPO), and subsequently assist in preparing SEC filings in partnership with the CFO and finance team.
- Maintain broad awareness of legislation and regulatory changes which may affect the organization and ensure compliance with state, federal and international requirements
- Develop the Company’s risk assessment strategies and ongoing risk management framework
- Contributes to the collaboration, cohesiveness, and productivity of the Executive Leadership Team
Qualifications and Strengths:
- JD from an ABA-accredited law school and an active bar license in good standing
- 10 – 15+ years of legal practice, including demonstrated success as in-house counsel and/or relevant experience at a law firm
- Ability to recognize compliance risks and develop workable strategies to mitigate such risk
- Experience working as an in-house attorney at a medical device and/or healthcare company – prior experience leading a company through an IPO is a plus
- Outstanding judgment and uncompromising professional ethics
- Knowledge of federal and state laws as well as industry requirements affecting the medical device/pharma/biotech industries
- Exercises meticulous attention to detail and an organized approach to quickly identify a problem to be solved, and then solve it
- Ability to be creative and flexible but with a focus on business-oriented outcomes
- Highly developed written and oral communications skills, with the ability to clearly articulate recommendations and options about complex legal issues
- Highly collaborative and able to organize and manage projects with multiple stakeholders and groups
- Demonstrated ability to recognize and weigh business and legal risks, lead strategically and advance innovative solutions
- Tactful with strong external negotiation skills
- Ability to travel up to 10%, as needed
Our corporate office is in Edina, MN. We provide a flexible hybrid work model that includes days working from our corporate office and remotely
We are proud to offer our employees an excellent compensation and benefits package and we are an equal opportunity employer.
Relievant provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.