Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2024
Ollie was born with the mission of improving the lives of pets and pet parents nationwide. We make human-grade pet food, tailored for each dog’s nutritional needs, and deliver directly to our customers’ doors. Through Ollie’s carefully crafted meals and health services for members, dogs can truly live their healthiest, happiest lives.
As a member of our growing team, you’ll take part in a company culture that cares deeply about its work and its team members.
As an Ollie Food Engineer, you’ll be part of a small-knit pack of food, nutrition, and dog health experts that bring our food to life. In ways of working, you’re agile and flexible, willing to take the lead, be a team player, or follow the pack as the situation dictates. You’re passionate when it comes to performance and quality and you know that the team succeeds when you all work together towards the common goal - delighting and caring for our 4-legged best friends. You’ll show technical expertise and thought leadership through every stage of development - from concept, through trial and testing, and finally to the homes (and bowls) of some very lucky pups.
This role is based remotely in the US and will report directly to the Head of Food.
- Design & develop new pet product concepts for dogs using scientific principles, consumer empathy, and a pet centric approach.
- Coordinate with cross functional partners in Marketing, Strategy, and Operations to achieve shared goals and objectives for new product launches and existing product maintenance.
- Assess opportunities to improve quality, costs, and/or competitive positioning of all new and existing products on a regular basis.
- Coordinate testing for nutrition, sensory, shelf-life stability, and all other key technical attributes of new and existing products through the supply chain.
- Develop specifications for finished goods, including requirements for raw materials, manufacturing processes, and key quality attributes.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to set standards and expectations for process, quality, and testing protocols.
- Lead or support efforts to solve complex technical problems involving food ingredients, manufacturing processes, and/or quality parameters.
- Serve as a passionate champion of Quality and Product Performance to delight pets, customers, and promote the Ollie brand
- 4+ years in a Food Engineering/Product Development role, with a consistent track record of project leadership, cross functional collaboration, and delivery of successful products
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in new Product Development, with in-depth knowledge of ingredient functionality, process and packaging interactions, and key quality attributes
- Demonstrated curiosity, empathy, and passion for creating insight & data-driven products that meet the needs of pups and their parents
- Demonstrated strengths in solving complex problems, written and verbal communication, and translating technical data to any audience
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Animal Science, Chemistry, Engineering or related technical field; higher degrees desirable
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in pet nutrition and baking; other experience in relevant human or animal food designs and processes (meat science, RTE foods, complex formulations) will be considered
- Perseverance to succeed, willingness to tackle new challenges, and desire to learn and grow
- Competitive salary and a stake in the company
- Sponsored 401k program with employer match up to 4%
- Comprehensive health coverage including medical, dental and vision
- Unlimited vacation policy that you're encouraged to use
- Paid parental leave
- 1-week paw-ternity leave for new dog parents
- Free Ollie subscription
- Inspiring pack members!
If you'd like to stand out, tell us in your cover letter why you're interested in joining Ollie and how your skills match the responsibilities detailed in this posting.
Ollie embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We're committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Ollie is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please include that in your application.