Staff Applied Scientist
Mynd is a tech-enabled real estate company serving the $85B+ property management and real estate investment market. In the past few years, consumers have gained access to free stock trades, greater transparency in the mortgage market, and apps that make managing their money more convenient. Yet real estate investment, the most powerful tool for building generational wealth, has largely been the purview of wealthier individuals and professional money managers.
Mynd is determined to overhaul that paradigm.
At Mynd, we’re on a mission to democratize access to happy homes and sustainable investments by making the purchase of single-family residential real estate as effortless as other types of investments. Investing in real estate can be intimidating, especially for first-time buyers. Moreover, many potential investors don’t want to buy real estate in their geographic area, or have been priced out of competitive big city housing markets.
With operations in 25 markets across the U.S. and real-time insights via our platform, we remove the time, communication, and geographic barriers traditionally associated with buying real estate. Investors can now find, purchase, lease, manage, and sell single-family rental properties 100 percent remotely.
Mynd is Best Places to Work certified, a Built In SF Best Places to Work 2022 winner, and was named the #1 fastest-growing East Bay company by the San Francisco Business Times in 2021. We’ve attracted talent from McKinsey, BCG, Compass, Better, One Medical, Zillow, Upwork, WeWork, and Facebook. We’re backed by top VCs, including Lightspeed, Canaan, Jackson Square, and QED.
About the role:
As an Applied Scientist at Mynd, you will be part of a high-performing team building predictive models for a full-stack real estate business. You will leverage machine learning and data engineering tools, and apply operations research and statistical methods to solve complex challenges like vacancy rates estimation, rent predictions, price valuations, customer churn, routing problems etc. that have tangible impact on the company’s growth and bottom line. You will be a key contributor to Mynd’s machine learning strategy and help design systems that support natural language processing, computer vision, and generative AI.
This high visibility role offers the opportunity to collaborate closely with cross-functional business partners and present solutions to broad audiences as you drive strategic business decision making and help build the company’s infrastructure and tech stack.
- Develop deep understanding of customer problems and operational metrics
- Partner with stakeholders to turn vague issues into well-defined and measurable optimization problems
- Lead the design and implementation of end-to-end machine learning projects that have a high degree of ambiguity and complexity
- Create and maintain data pipelines for data collection, feature engineering, and model training
- Work closely with engineering teams to integrate machine learning models into production applications, ensuring scalability, stability, and maintainability
- Design and implement data pipelines and KPIs to track model accuracy and usage
- Improve model performance through integration of new datasets and A/B testing
- Provide technical leadership and contribute to the growth and development of the data science team
- Masters/Ph.D. degree in a quantitative field (mathematics, statistics, finance, physics, etc.)
- 6+ years of experience as a data scientist working on machine learning models in big data environments
- Mastery in a scripting language (Python) and a database querying language (SQL)
- Strong programming and data engineering skills
- Experience implementing machine learning models and optimization algorithms on large data sets
- Strong intellectual curiosity and critical-thinking skills
- Solid written and verbal communication skill
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation.
$163,000 - $220,000 annually. The compensation range may be adjusted based on experience and location.
At Mynd, we offer a robust, competitive & unique benefits package:
- Unlimited time off
- 13 Paid holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- Cash to purchase your own investment property through our “Project Investor Myndset” program
- 401k + Match
- Wellness, home office, and cell phone subsidies
- Volunteer time off
- Robust health, dental, vision insurance, and more
- Sabbatical program
- Eligible to participate in Mynd’s equity program
At Mynd, we encourage all of our team members to:
- Be Myndful
- Always Be Entrepreneurial
- Earn Trust
- Play Team First
- Be an ‘A’ Player
- Think Like An Investor
As part of our dedication to diversity, Mynd is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Mynd are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.