Property Accountant - Institutional
Mynd is a tech-enabled real estate company serving an $85B+ property management and real estate investment market. In the past few years, financial services disruptors like E-Trade, Schwab, and Robinhood have unlocked access to the stock market, minting a new generation of self-service investors. Yet we at Mynd believe that real estate remains the most powerful tool for building generational wealth.
We’re on a mission to create happy homes and healthy investments by offering best-in-class property management services and making SFRs as accessible and effortless as other types of investments. Investing in real estate can be intimidating, especially for first-time buyers. Plus, many potential investors don’t want to invest in real estate in their geographic area or have been priced out of competitive big city housing markets. Through localized operations in 25 markets across the US, and real-time insights via our platform, we remove the time, communication, and geographic barriers traditionally associated with real estate. Investors can now find, purchase, rent, manage, and sell single-family rental properties 100% remotely.
Mynd was named the #1 fastest-growing private company in the Bay Area by the San Francisco Business Times in 2020. We’ve attracted talent from Starwood Waypoint Homes, McKinsey, Shift, Better, BCG, One Medical, Zillow, Upwork, and Facebook. We’re backed by top VCs, including Lightspeed, Canaan, and Jackson Square, and just announced a $5 billion deal with Invesco Real Estate that will make us the largest buyer of single-family rental homes in the country. Most importantly, we’re a kind and fun team of innovators who truly enjoy ushering in a new generation of real estate investors.
About the Role:
The Institutional Property Accountant will provide full cycle accounting support for the property management team, and function as a key member of the team. This role is responsible for communicating financial results to both external clients and management teams. The skills required to succeed in this role include strong accounting, collaboration, communication skills.
- Provide daily accounting functions for multiple regions
- Prepare and distribute monthly financial reports in accordance with GAAP – prepare monthly accrual journal entries, financial statement preparation/reconciliation and bank reconciliations.
- Prepare monthly distributions to clients
- Review and maintain accuracy of general ledgers
- G/L activity posting, Balance Sheet reconciliation and maintenance of subsidiary ledgers
- Support Property Accounting Managers with ad hoc projects, monthly closes and distributions
- Monitor cash receipt postings, tenant billings, billing adjustments and perform tenant ledger reconciliations when necessary
- Review invoice coding and invoice workflow to ensure adherence to capitalization policies and timely payments to vendors
- Coordinate with various departments to ensure accounting accuracy and completeness of financial packages
- Ability to independently research historical cash transactions and provide Portfolio Managers and Regional Directors with timely responses
- Provide accounting detail and assistance to Property Accounting Managers for all internal and/or external auditors
- Research new accounting laws and regulations for different states as needed
- Prepare annual 1099 and 1096 reporting to vendors and IRS
- Prepare quarterly 592 and 588 forms to Franchise Tax Board on as needed basis
- Performs ad hoc assignments as needed
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or equivalent
- 5+ years of Real Estate Accounting experience
- Experience with a Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) or equivalent
- Future value reporting experience highly preferred
- Experience in Public Accounting highly preferred
- Proficiency using Excel and Google Suite products
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Adaptability – maintains effectiveness in varying environments, tasks and responsibilities, or with various types of people.
- Planning and Organizing – ability to establish a course of action to accomplish goals and evaluate results.
- Ability to multitask - work successfully under pressure and effectively prioritize and manage time and workload to meet client needs.
- Client Focus – dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of the external and internal client, establishes and maintains effective relationships with clients, and gains their trust and respect.
- Dealing with Ambiguity – can effectively cope with change, can shift gears comfortably, can decide and act without having the total picture, can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
- Drive for Results – can be counted on to exceed goals successfully, bottom line oriented, pushes self and others for results.
- Thrives in a fast-paced and start-up environment
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation.
$71,000 - $83,500 annually. The compensation range may be adjusted based on experience and location.
At Mynd, we offer a robust, competitive & unique benefits package:
- Unlimited time off
- 13 Paid holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- Cash to purchase your own investment property through our “Project Investor Myndset” program
- 401k + Match
- Wellness, home office, and cell phone subsidies
- Volunteer time off
- Robust health, dental, vision insurance, and more
- Sabbatical program
- Eligible to participate in Mynd’s equity program
At Mynd, we encourage all of our team members to:
- Be Myndful
- Always Be Entrepreneurial
- Earn Trust
- Play Team First
- Be an ‘A’ Player
- Think Like An Investor
As part of our dedication to diversity, Mynd is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Mynd are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.