We saw a problem within the life insurance industry: getting covered took too long, involved too much paperwork, and required too many in-person meetings with salesy agents. Having lost his father at a young age, our CEO, Jamie, was determined to make it easier for people to get the coverage they needed to provide for their families. So, we got to work. We developed a method of real-time underwriting and, in doing so, reduced the months-long process of applying for life insurance to minutes. Our digital experience is quick (instant decisions!), loved by users (check out our Trustpilot or Google reviews) and prolific ($60 billion+ in coverage provided).About the role
Ladder is seeking a talented Director of Accounting to join our exceptional Finance team. The Director will report to the VP of Finance and will work hand in hand with her and the Director of Accounting Policy, Reporting and Functional Enablement as well as other team members to continually enhance the Finance function. This role is responsible for proactively remaining abreast of all GAAP and Statutory Accounting developments relevant to Ladder’s accounting. This role works to collaborate with Ladder process owners to help implement technical accounting items, and provide subject matter expertise to support business owners with accounting issues in compliance with US GAAP and Statutory Accounting Principles. This role will also help to drive the implementation of finance related projects, enhance and build out efficient Bord reporting. In this role, you will have the opportunity to drive innovation within the accounting function and support building and maintaining a strong focus on accounting and financial controls. This role requires expert understanding and significant experience with US GAAP and Statutory Accounting and the risks impacting the financial services industry, and serves as the subject matter expert in these areas.
We are looking for someone who is organized, self-motivated, has excellent problem-solving skills, is well-rounded and has the ability to interact with all levels of management and operate effectively in a rapidly scaling, dynamic environment.
How you'll make a difference
- Takes a key role collaborating with accounting policy in the implementation of new and proposed US GAAP and STAT accounting standards and accounting requirements related to pending and future transactions;
- Maintain accounting compliance by understanding current US GAAP regulations and Statutory accounting guidance and recommending new procedures especially those related to Insurance industry standards;
- In collaboration with accounting policy, develops and helps business partners implement controls related to new accounting standards and the onboarding of transactions;
- Drive implementation of new contracts and agreements that impact accounting results;
- Preparation and continual improvement of BORD reporting for carriers and reinsurers ensuring compliance with agreements;
- Prepare journal entries and account reconciliations to ensure the integrity of account balances;
- Analyze flux of income statement and balance sheet accounts for close by understanding what is driving results for the month;
- Assesses risk associated with accounting practices and prepares recommendations, identifying operational inefficiencies and areas for improvement, formulate and take action on recommendations in order to scale effectively and continually improve financial controls;
- Provides input into applicable footnote disclosures
- Work with external accounting firms on financial, statutory, and tax audits through preparation of PBC’s and follow up
- Take part in various ad hoc projects and analyses and Finance projects and initiatives as required
- Manages project teams and coordinates completion of documentation related to those projects with cross-functional teams as needed.
- Provides management, work direction and support to junior accounting staff with the potential to build out teams in the future.
- Ability to travel periodically
Who You Are
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related field of study
- 7-10+ years of progressive responsibilities related to US GAAP and Statutory accounting/reporting, accounting research, implementation of standards, change management and or audit experience in the financial services industry.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation
- Deep knowledge of GAAP and Stat accounting regulations, practices and procedures; risk and control; and project management.
- Must be data-driven with strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with departments impacted by new accounting pronouncements and reporting.
- Exceptional mathematical skills and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work cooperatively and successfully with employees, customers, and other outside third parties.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals and technical/operational procedures.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to drive change and be resilient to successfully handle pressure and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to lead and manage through influence in a hybrid/remote work model
- Management experience
What we offer
Whether you work in our beautiful office in Palo Alto or remotely, Ladder is highly collaborative and fun. To support you in your role, we offer fantastic perks and benefits that reflect our mission of care and support, including:
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage | We offer competitive healthcare,dental and vision plans for you and your family.
- Flexible paid time off | Take the time that you need to rest and recharge, including our week-long winter holiday closure.
- Stock options | We offer competitive stock option packages to participate in the success of building Ladder, including an extended option exercise window of 7 years after two years with Ladder.
- A rewarding 401k match program | We'll match up to 4% of your contributions as you save for your retirement goals.
- Ladder Fit Program | Your health matters. That’s why Ladder provides a monthly reimbursement for wellness-related expenses.
- Commuter benefits | When you work from the office, you will receive pre-tax
- benefits for your commute and free parking.
- A stocked, beautiful new office | Located in downtown Palo Alto, our office was specifically designed to accommodate all working styles. We've invested in technology to support our hybrid team, plus we provide office snacks and daily catered lunches so that team members can work well and have fun together.
- Paid parental leave | We think it's crucial that new parents have time to adjust to their new lives without worrying about work, so we provide all parents inclusive of birthing, adoption, or fostering ten weeks of paid baby bonding.
- Work-from-home flexibility and support | We recognize that everyone's homelife is different and support remote and hybrid work. Upon joining, we provide a one-time remote office stipend for all team members and then a monthly stipend to cover WFH costs such as the internet.
- Fun company-wide events | Whether we work locally or remotely, we genuinely enjoy spending time together. That’s why we plan fun virtual and in-person events to let loose and laugh.
The base pay range targeted for this position is $160,000 - $180,000. This role is eligible for equity and benefits as shared above. Base pay is determined by market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Ladder is building a diverse team of talented and enthusiastic people. We are an equal opportunity workplace. At Ladder, differences are celebrated and supported to benefit our people, product, and community. Let us know why you're interested in this position and what unique contributions you can make to the Ladder team. We look forward to hearing from you.
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don't apply for roles if they don't meet all the criteria – unlike majority candidates meeting significantly fewer requirements. We strongly encourage you to apply if you’re interested: we'd love to know how you can elevate our team with your unique experience!
Something looks off?