Quality Assurance Engineer
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2023
Kepler is on an audacious mission: to bring the internet to space. Founded in 2015, our ambition is to provide internet connectivity in space, whether in LEO, MEO, GEO, or beyond. With an expanding base of early customers and our first 21 satellites in orbit, Kepler is continuing to grow and expand its most important asset – the Team!
We are seeking a highly detail oriented and collaborative Quality Assurance Engineer to join our Manufacturing/Production department. As QA Engineer you will be responsible for all aspects of quality management throughout the satellite and subsystems development life-cycle.
You will play a vital role in ensuring the development and manufacturing of our satellites runs as smoothly as possible; facilitating process improvements, managing non-conformances, managing supplier quality & incoming inspections, identifying and mitigating risks, all whilst ensuring compliance with industry standards and regulations.
The ideal candidate will relish working alongside our development & manufacturing teams and providing internal training to foster and embed a culture of quality & compliance.
- Quality Management: Maintain robust quality management practises to ensure compliance with industry standards, and internal processes throughout the satellite subsystem development lifecycle.
- Supplier Quality Assurance: Collaborate with the supply chain team to assess potential suppliers, conduct supplier audits, and establish quality requirements for components and materials used in satellite subsystems.
- Non-Conformance Management: conduct incoming inspection, quarantine defective components and work with engineering and supply chain teams to resolve non-conformances. Lead investigations into non-conformance issues, identify root causes, and implement corrective and preventive actions to ensure they do not recur.
- Improvement: Continuously identify opportunities for improvements in the manufacturing and assembly of our products to enhance efficiency, reliability, and overall quality.
- Quality Control: Develop and implement inspection and testing procedures to verify the quality of manufactured components, sub-assemblies, and final satellite systems.
- Risk Mitigation: Proactively identify potential risks and develop risk mitigation plans to address quality and reliability concerns in the satellite subsystems.
- Documentation and Reporting: Maintain comprehensive documentation related to quality assurance activities, including inspection reports, test results, and quality metrics. Prepare regular reports for management to track quality performance.
- Team Collaboration: Work closely with cross-functional teams, including production, engineering, and AIT, to ensure seamless integration of quality assurance activities throughout the project lifecycle.
- Training and Education: Provide training and support to team members to foster a culture of quality and compliance in the organization.
- Compliance and Standards: Stay up-to-date with industry standards, best practices, and regulations related to satellite manufacturing and quality assurance.
- Proven experience as a Quality Assurance Engineer in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong knowledge of quality management systems, processes, and tools.
- Familiarity with the development and manufacturing of complex and precision manufactured components
- Experience in supplier quality management and conducting supplier audits.
- Proficiency in root cause analysis and implementing corrective and preventive actions.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with acute attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment.
- Strong communication skills to interact with various stakeholders and convey technical information effectively.
Preferred qualifications and experiences:
- Hands-on experience in a production context
- Experience in production processes.
- Knowledge of industry-specific quality standards such ECSS, MIL, or equivalent.
- Certification in quality assurance or related fields.
- Startup experience.
- Use of NetSuite Quality Management Software (QMS)
Kepler Communications Inc. is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, people who identify as LGBT and others who may contribute to diversification in our workplace.
As part of our commitment to accessibility for all persons with disabilities, Kepler will, upon the request of the applicant, provide accommodation during the recruitment process to ensure equal access to applicants with disabilities. Please contact our People & Culture team, through our Career Page to make your accommodation needs known and we will consult with you to ensure suitable accommodation is provided.