Mechanical Structural Analysis Engineer
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2023
Kepler is on an audacious mission: to bring the internet to space. Founded in 2015, our ambition is to provide internet connectivity in space, whether in LEO, MEO, GEO, or beyond. With an expanding base of early customers and our first 21 satellites in orbit, Kepler is continuing to grow and expand its most important asset – the Team!
We invest heavily to deliver the best products to our customers, and so we’re on the hunt for a top-tier Mechanical Analysis Engineer. Your focus will be on assisting with the development and test of mechanical systems, specifically hardware related to our spacecraft-level designs.
- Assess structural elements of satellite systems for strength, static, and dynamic responses.
- Iterate through design options, both in simulation and test, to rapidly enhance confidence in the hardware.
- Identify requirement verification methods and establish plans to mitigate technical risks through combinations of Calculation, FEA, Test, etc.
- Identify, recommend, and implement design changes in CAD to ensure system survivability and performance.
- Support hands-on work building and testing hardware at both prototype and flight levels.
- Generate documentation required to substantiate designed solutions and adequately communicate them to stakeholders.
- Participate in pathfinding activities for new projects.
- Act as a peer reviewer on other active designs.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, or equivalent.
- 5+ years of mechanical design experience.
- Experience in assessing designs for static and dynamic loading including Random Vibration, Sine Vibration, Quasistatic loading, etc.
- Experience in testing designs for dynamic behaviour and correlating results to analysis.
- Experience with NASTRAN-based simulation environments.
- Experience with one or more CAD tools (Solidworks, Creo, Onshape, etc.)
- Strong communication and documentation skills working in a multidisciplinary team.
- Comfortable in an R&D lab environment.
- Comfortable rapidly adapting to new information and iterating on findings.
- Knowledge and/or experience in design for Space.
- In-depth experience using Simcenter (NX) NASTRAN and Response Dynamics module.
- In-depth knowledge of Solidworks.
- Exposure to thermal design and analysis.
- Exposure to PDM / PLM tools and configuration control practices.
Kepler Communications Inc. is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, people who identify as LGBT and others who may contribute to diversification in our workplace.
As part of our commitment to accessibility for all persons with disabilities, Kepler will, upon the request of the applicant, provide accommodation during the recruitment process to ensure equal access to applicants with disabilities. Please contact our People & Culture team, through our Career Page to make your accommodation needs known and we will consult with you to ensure suitable accommodation is provided.