Systems Design Engineer
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2022
Kepler is on an audacious mission: to bring the internet to space. Founded in 2015, our ambition is to provide internet connectivity in space, whether in LEO, MEO, GEO, or beyond. With an expanding base of early customers and our first 23 satellites in orbit, Kepler is continuing to grow and expand its most important asset – the Team!
Kepler is looking for a Senior Systems Engineer to support our satellite platform, its payload elements, discrete space hardware, and the mission models that tie them all together. This position would suit a dynamic technical specialist and great team player who enjoys technical challenges in a fast-paced environment, applies sound judgement, and puts fundamentals first.
- Create and use model-based approaches to scope technical solutions across the spacecraft platform and space products.
- Lead and conduct engineering trades and technical budgets for a selection of subsystems.
- Conduct constellation coverage and reliability analysis and flow the results into the various hardware and software designs required for the system.
- Deep dive in technical niches to support or lead new product designs.
- Work closely with other cross-functional engineering teams including RF, mechanical, software, and FPGA to develop full product solutions.
- Work closely with teams of subject matter experts from diverse fields to iterate on and for the final spacecraft.
- Develop and manage key program documentation and verification structures (requirements, ICDs, ConOps).
- Troubleshoot system behaviour anomalies, determine root cause analysis and provide technical guidance to steer the team towards resolution.
- Assist in system road-mapping and conduct feasibility studies and contribute to proposals for other business units.
- Support prototyping, production, assembly, integration and testing of systems and subsystems.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (electrical, mechanical, aerospace engineering).
- 5+ years of relevant experience within a systems engineering environment.
- Strong understanding of aerospace systems and engineering fundamentals.
- Hands-on environmental testing (vibration, thermal, shock or thermal vacuum) or electromagnetic interference (EMI) testing experience.
- Ability to distil complex problems to fundamentals to solve with analysis, similarity, or creativity.
- Ability to read and decipher highly technical data, and conduct trade-offs for competing requirements.
- Experience with qualification and acceptance testing of new designs.
- Experience creating or using models and/or simulation software.
- Strong understanding of the space environment and orbit mechanics.
- Master’s degree in relevant field (electrical, mechanical, industrial, aerospace engineering) or strong academic/professional project experience.
- Solid understanding of the product development lifecycle process, including analysis and design, development tools and technologies, release and version control, contemporary testing methodologies and deployment management.
- Experience taking a product from the concept phase through to prototyping, launch, and operations.
- Experience developing in C/C++ or Python.
- A good foundation in spacecraft attitude dynamics and control algorithms, with emphasis on practical application of knowledge.
- Experience with mission and orbit modelling and simulation.
- Experience developing CAD for complex assemblies.
Kepler Communications Inc. is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, people who identify as LGBT and others who may contribute to diversification in our workplace.
As part of our commitment to accessibility for all persons with disabilities, Kepler will, upon the request of the applicant, provide accommodation during the recruitment process to ensure equal access to applicants with disabilities. Please contact our People & Culture team, through our Career Page to make your accommodation needs known and we will consult with you to ensure suitable accommodation is provided.