Senior Product Manager
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2023
Manufacturing represents half of the world’s GDP, but 20 cents of every dollar spent is wasted on things like scrap, rework, product returns, mistakes, experiments, and underutilized human resources. Instrumental’s aim is to give manufacturers the tools they need to cut that waste by half.
Instrumental’s technology is used by the world’s most admired electronics brands like Bose, Cisco, and SolarEdge to significantly reduce waste - increasing yields, accelerating time-to-market, and reducing the frequency of recalls and production delays. Our SaaS manufacturing platform bakes AI and data traceability directly into the manufacturing process, giving our customers an unparalleled ability to discover, solve, and monitor critical manufacturing issues in record time.
About the Role:
At Instrumental, you’ll play a vital role in helping us build software to transform the manufacturing industry. As a Senior Product Manager you will be directly responsible for steering cross-functional teams to envision, define, and deliver products that empower hardware engineers, giving them superpowers to find and fix manufacturing issues that drive real-world waste. This role will be a split of tactical and strategic work that will grow with our product and company.
The best person for this role is a customer-obsessed strategic problem solver, with a strong bias for rolling up their sleeves and driving action. They enjoy collaborating cross-functionally, being at the intersection of business and engineering stakeholders and challenges. This person thrives in a fast-paced, high-growth environment, and is comfortable making decisions in the face of ambiguity.
Bonus points: A strong understanding of pain-points in hardware design or manufacturing operations. If you’re a previous hardware engineer-turned-product manager, have worked with manufacturing software, or have had deep touch-points within this industry, we’re excited to hear from you!
We're Looking for Someone Who:
- Has 3-5+ years experience in product management, working on enterprise SaaS products.
- Is customer obsessed. You prioritize deeply understanding user context, needs, and problems. You’re focused on delivering solutions that drive real value for users.
- Is familiar with agile software development methods, managing a backlog, and is comfortable working with engineering teams on difficult feature trade-off discussions.
- Has excellent communication and presentation skills. You can influence stakeholders at all levels in an organization, and explain complex technical topics to non-technical audiences.
- Has an entrepreneurial spirit. You're self-driven and don’t require direction, with a proven track record of moving the needle. You embody a do-what-it-takes attitude.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Conduct customer and market research to discover, define, and validate opportunities.
- Drive product planning, prioritization, and enhancements, balancing responsiveness to customer needs with strategic market impact. Build an efficient and ROI driven roadmap.
- Collaborate with UX design to develop user-friendly interfaces that enables users to effectively leverage our AI tools to find, solve, and monitor manufacturing issues.
- Work closely with engineering and quality teams to build, test, and release new features.
- Act as the product owner in an Agile process. Own writing of product requirements, feature acceptance criteria, and sign-off development completion.
- Work with product marketing to develop content, messaging, and competitive positioning based on solid value propositions, driving sales enablement and existing customer growth.
- Partner with customers and prospects to present product features and roadmap.
- Work with internal teams to ensure they stay trained and customers fully supported.
We'd Love to Chat if You Have:
- Experience working with the manufacturing industry, either on a software solution within the space, or working for a consumer or industrial electronics manufacturer.
- Experience creating solutions aimed at serving a complex specialty (e.g. engineers, scientists, or medical professionals), especially if it had a heavy AI or analytics component.
- Voracious curiosity - you want to know how things are made, why they’re made that way, and how they could be made better.
We’re a growing team that works collaboratively, supports each other, and is energized by having impact. We value passion and the ability to learn – you’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t match the job description precisely!
The following is a representative annual base salary range for this position within the Bay Area: $177,000 - $191,000. In addition, job level and salary opportunities are evaluated through our interview process – we review the experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of each applicant.
Instrumental is proud to offer a highly-rated variety of benefits, including health, vision, dental, commuter plans, and parental leave.