Research Scientist/Senior Research Scientist
South San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 6, 2024
IDEAYA Biosciences (NASDAQ: IDYA) is a public, clinical-stage precision medicine oncology company committed to the discovery and development of targeted therapeutics for patient populations selected using DNA sequencing and other molecular diagnostics. Our approach integrates extensive capabilities in identifying and validating translational biomarkers with small molecule drug discovery to select patient populations most likely to benefit from the therapies we are developing. We are applying these capabilities across multiple classes of precision medicine, including direct targeting of oncogenic pathways and synthetic lethality – which represents an emerging class of precision medicine targets. We believe this diversified approach will enable us to deliver the right medicine to the right patient to drive a more robust clinical response. IDEAYA has an industry leading platform and pipeline in precision medicine / synthetic lethality. IDEAYA wholly-owns or controls its three most-advanced clinical programs. It has established strategic collaborations with GSK, Amgen, Pfizer and Gilead supporting certain clinical and preclinical pipeline programs.
When you're at IDEAYA, you will be in the midst of brilliant minds working on precision medicine therapies to help cancer patients. We are passionate and committed about being on the forefront of oncology medicine, which means we all have a high internal drive that is at the very core of every person at IDEAYA. We are inquisitive, ask deep questions, and are data-driven innovators who like to collaborate and use team work to move science forward. For more information, please see www.ideayabio.com.
IDEAYA is seeking an experienced, enthusiastic, and highly motivated Research Scientist or Senior Research Scientist. This individual will play a key role in understanding the biology of our novel small molecule inhibitors for treatment in patients with cancer. The successful candidate will develop cellular assays for small-molecule agents testing and carry out target validation and mechanism of action studies as well as discover disease-relevant biomarkers. The ideal candidate will enjoy working within an open, multi-disciplinary team and possess a passion for exploration of biology within the mission of the discovery and development of new cancer therapeutics. The Research Scientist/Senior Research Scientist, Biology should have a PhD in Cancer Biology, Cell and Molecular Biology or a related discipline with experience in cancer biology, DNA damage repair, cell cycle or related field with demonstrable value-building achievements. The successful candidate will have significant knowledge of tumor biology and/or oncology drug discovery.
What you'll do:
- Strong commitment to conducting cutting edge laboratory research.
- Design and execute research experiments independently to produce robust, decision-enabling data.
- Develop in vitro assays to validate target biology, delineate mechanism of action of small molecule inhibitors and biomarker discovery using an array of techniques.
- Analyze and critically interpret scientific data independently.
- Collaborate with other research groups within Ideaya’s research organization.
- Present data and report on project progress at individual, team and departmental meetings.
- PhD in Cancer Biology, Cell Biology (or a related discipline) with experience in DNA damage repair, cell cycle or related field with demonstrable value-building achievements.
- PhD + 0-3 years post-doc or industry experience; Initial pharmaceutical industry experience preferred.
- Experience designing and implementing cell-based assays to validate target and to profile and investigate mechanism of action of small-molecule agents as well as biomarker discovery.
- Extensive knowledge in various techniques including but not limited to cell culture of mammalian cell lines and primary tissue samples, cell-based assay development, western blotting, MSD, gene editing and cell line generation, qPCR, Nanostring/RNASeq, siRNA/shRNA knockdown, immunofluorescence, flow cytometry and other basic molecular and cell biology skills.
- Experience with quantitative microscopy and/or high content screening and/or flow cytometry is a plus.
- Experience with functional genomics and working with large datasets, e.g. RNAseq, CRISPR screens, etc. is desirable.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced startup environment, crisp, informed decision making, work to ambitious timelines.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Detail-oriented with excellent record keeping and organizational skills.
The salary range is an estimate and may vary based on the Company’s compensation practices.
The Company complies with all laws respecting equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants with regard to any protected characteristic as defined by federal, state, and local law. This position requires you to work onsite at the Company’s facilities, with partial work-from-home flexibility, and the Company requires that all employees working in its facilities be fully vaccinated (except as required by applicable law). Therefore, this position requires you to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as otherwise required by applicable law. The Company considers you fully vaccinated once 14 days have passed since you received either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine must have been FDA approved, have emergency use authorization from the FDA, or, for persons fully vaccinated outside of the U.S., be listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization.
Along with our highly collaborative and inclusive environment, IDEAYA offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that includes (but is not limited to) medical/dental/vision coverage (100% company paid for employees and 90% company paid for dependents), retirement benefits, ESPP and wellness programs. All full-time employees will also be eligible for an annual bonus and equity refresh.
IDEAYA is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, IDEAYA does not discriminate in hiring or otherwise in employment based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. EOE/AA/Vets.