Vice President/Senior Vice President, Corporate Strategy and Business Development
Sales & Business Development
South San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2023
IDEAYA Biosciences (NASDAQ: IDYA) is a public, clinical-stage precision medicine oncology company committed to the discovery and development of targeted therapeutics for patient populations selected using DNA sequencing and other molecular diagnostics. Our approach integrates extensive capabilities in identifying and validating translational biomarkers with small molecule drug discovery to select patient populations most likely to benefit from the therapies we are developing. We are applying these capabilities across multiple classes of precision medicine, including direct targeting of oncogenic pathways and synthetic lethality – which represents an emerging class of precision medicine targets. We believe this diversified approach will enable us to deliver the right medicine to the right patient to drive a more robust clinical response. IDEAYA has an industry leading platform and pipeline in precision medicine / synthetic lethality. IDEAYA wholly-owns or controls its three most-advanced clinical programs. It has established strategic collaborations with GSK, Amgen and Pfizer supporting certain clinical and preclinical pipeline programs.
When you're at IDEAYA, you will be in the midst of brilliant minds working on precision medicine therapies to help cancer patients. We are passionate and committed about being on the forefront of oncology medicine, which means we all have a high internal drive that is at the very core of every person at IDEAYA. We are inquisitive, ask deep questions, and are data-driven innovators who like to collaborate and use team work to move science forward. For more information, please see www.ideayabio.com.
This individual will play a key role in leading business development activities and in the management of key strategic alliances with global pharmaceutical companies in precision medicine oncology. This role will report directly to the CEO and partner closely with the SVP, Head of Finance and Investor Relations.
What you’ll do:
- Strategic business development activities to further enable success of IDEAYA’s portfolio. This includes cultivating and maintaining relationships with potential pharma, biotech, and academic partners.
- Collaborating with IDEAYA research, development, and corporate strategy teams to define new targets of commercial interest and to pursue assets and partnership opportunities for such targets.
- Cross-functional due diligence reviews to support business and scientific assessments.
- Develop proposed deal architecture and terms, and lead negotiations of term sheets and agreements with potential partners in collaboration with legal and finance.
- Drive decision-making throughout deal process, and make recommendations to senior leadership and other key stakeholders.
- Responsible for leading key strategic partnership relationships: creating synergies, coordinating execution of scientific and business objectives, identifying strategic business opportunities for teams, leading alliance function of joint committees, working closely with internal and external alliance partners.
- Enable success of development portfolio and planning for longer-term strategies of portfolio and assets, including assisting with the assessment of commercial opportunities and competitive landscape.
- Partner with our SVP, Head of Finance and Investor Relations with investor relations activities, including but not limited to investor conferences, drafting press releases, and inquiries.
- 10+ years of Business Development and Alliance or Partnership Management experience required, with 3+ to 5+ years Investor Relations experience preferred.
- Scientific and technical background in precision medicine oncology highly preferred.
- PhD in Biology, Chemistry or related science degree required, and/or MBA with strong business acumen, including deal / negotiations experience.
- Strong leadership and collaboration capabilities, proven in partnership setting, and demonstration of key business development success.
- Strategic and analytical thinker who can distill complex technical or business problems to drive to solutions.
- Aptitude to work with abstract ideas or fluid situations across functional areas of the business.
- Deep experience and comfort working with all areas of the business, including senior leadership.
- Thorough assessment of intangible variables, identification and evaluation of fundamental issues to provide strategic and tactical direction for major functional areas.
- Ability to develop methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for projects, programs and people.
- Coordination of activities of multiple functional areas through directors and/or managers with overall responsibilities for the direction of those assigned areas.
- Demonstrated consistency and professionalism in employee collaboration, management skills and teamwork.
- Demonstrated excellence in independent management of complex projects.
The salary range is an estimate and may vary based on the Company’s compensation practices.
The Company complies with all laws respecting equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants with regard to any protected characteristic as defined by federal, state, and local law. This position requires you to work onsite at the Company’s facilities, with partial work-from-home flexibility, and the Company requires that all employees working in its facilities be fully vaccinated (except as required by applicable law). Therefore, this position requires you to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as otherwise required by applicable law. The Company considers you fully vaccinated once 14 days have passed since you received either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine must have been FDA approved, have emergency use authorization from the FDA, or, for persons fully vaccinated outside of the U.S., be listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization.
Along with our highly collaborative and inclusive environment, IDEAYA offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that includes (but is not limited to) medical/dental/vision coverage (100% company paid for employees and 90% company paid for dependents), retirement benefits, ESPP and wellness programs. All full-time employees will also be eligible for an annual bonus and equity refresh.
IDEAYA is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, IDEAYA does not discriminate in hiring or otherwise in employment based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. EOE/AA/Vets.