Senior/Principal Research Scientist, Biophysics
South San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, October 7, 2023
IDEAYA Biosciences (NASDAQ: IDYA) is a public, clinical-stage precision medicine oncology company committed to the discovery and development of targeted therapeutics for patient populations selected using DNA sequencing and other molecular diagnostics. Our approach integrates extensive capabilities in identifying and validating translational biomarkers with small molecule drug discovery to select patient populations most likely to benefit from the therapies we are developing. We are applying these capabilities across multiple classes of precision medicine, including direct targeting of oncogenic pathways and synthetic lethality – which represents an emerging class of precision medicine targets. We believe this diversified approach will enable us to deliver the right medicine to the right patient to drive a more robust clinical response. IDEAYA has an industry leading platform and pipeline in precision medicine / synthetic lethality. IDEAYA wholly-owns or controls its three most-advanced clinical programs. It has established strategic collaborations with GSK, Amgen and Pfizer supporting certain clinical and preclinical pipeline programs.
When you're at IDEAYA, you will be in the midst of brilliant minds working on precision medicine therapies to help cancer patients. We are passionate and committed about being on the forefront of oncology medicine, which means we all have a high internal drive that is at the very core of every person at IDEAYA. We are inquisitive, ask deep questions, and are data-driven innovators who like to collaborate and use team work to move science forward. For more information, please see www.ideayabio.com.
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated biophysicist with relevant experience in small molecule drug discovery to join our team. The successful candidate will be a member of the Lead Discovery group reporting to the Senior Principal Scientist, Biophysics. The scientist will be responsible for the biophysical and mechanistic characterization of small-molecule ligands binding to protein targets with a strong focus on surface plasmon resonance (SPR) applications. The successful applicant will also be able to integrate a broad understanding of biophysics with protein dynamics, enzymology, and structural biology with the goal of supporting routine compound profiling as well as understanding the molecular mechanism of action and corresponding pharmacology of a diverse set of protein targets. Industry experience in biophysics is preferred. This is a hands-on laboratory position based in our South San Francisco, CA research site.
What you'll do:
- Design and implement biophysical characterization of small molecule-ligand and protein interactions using an array of biophysical techniques such as SPR (Biacore S200 and 8K+), nanoDSF, DLS, FP, TR-FRET, and MST.
- Manage biophysical studies in-house and at CROs.
- Close collaboration with team members in protein sciences, structural biology, biochemistry, and chemistry to build robust screening paradigms and drive SAR advancing hit-to-lead and lead optimization activities.
- Drive deep mechanistic understanding of ligand binding and collaborate with colleagues to integrate this into pharmacology studies, both in vitro and in vivo.
- Interpret study results and develop further recommendations for each program.
- Independently communicate results in the form of oral presentations and industry-standard study reports.
- Perform all duties in keeping with the Company’s core values, policies and all applicable regulations.
- PhD in biophysics, biochemistry, or a related field.
- At least 3 years of industry or related experience, preferably in the field of small-molecule/protein biophysics.
- Experience developing, running, and interpreting biophysical characterizations of small molecules by SPR is essential; hands on experience is required.
- Familiarity with key concepts and computational tools related to protein structures is strongly preferred.
- Ability to function in a scientific expert role as part of an interdisciplinary team, contributing to the execution of experiments in support of overall research activities and project goals.
- Experience in managing scientists at Research Associate level is desirable.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic small company environment.
- Critical thinker with a demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively across teams and functional areas.
- Capacity to synthesize and integrate complex ideas and to clearly communicate key insights around our targets, mechanisms, and models.
- Skilled at identifying and solving problems early; planning ahead to minimize program risk.
- Success-oriented individual with relentless drive towards company and team goals and timelines.
- Curiosity, passion, and desire to make a difference.
- Contribute to our company culture, sense of team, and collaborative spirit.
The salary range for this position at the Senior Scientist level is between $139,082 and $160,020. The salary range is an estimate and may vary based on the Company’s compensation practices.
The salary range for this position at the Principal Scientist level is between $154,000 and $175,000. The salary range is an estimate and may vary based on the Company’s compensation practices.
The Company complies with all laws respecting equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants with regard to any protected characteristic as defined by federal, state, and local law. This position requires you to work onsite at the Company’s facilities, with partial work-from-home flexibility, and the Company requires that all employees working in its facilities be fully vaccinated (except as required by applicable law). Therefore, this position requires you to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as otherwise required by applicable law. The Company considers you fully vaccinated once 14 days have passed since you received either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine must have been FDA approved, have emergency use authorization from the FDA, or, for persons fully vaccinated outside of the U.S., be listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization.
Along with our highly collaborative and inclusive environment, IDEAYA offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that includes (but is not limited to) medical/dental/vision coverage (100% company paid for employees and 90% company paid for dependents), retirement benefits, ESPP and wellness programs. All full-time employees will also be eligible for an annual bonus and equity refresh.
IDEAYA is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, IDEAYA does not discriminate in hiring or otherwise in employment based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. EOE/AA/Vets.