Sr. Back End / Full Stack Engineer
Who are we?
Hugo is working to make financial stability achievable for every American. We're starting with car insurance. 30 million Americans drive uninsured each year - risking major fines, car impoundment, license suspension, and in some places, even jail. Our flagship product is Hugo, the world's first pay as you drive liability insurance. Hugo eliminates large upfront premiums and fees, and instead offers insurance in affordable daily bundles, so drivers can purchase what they need when they need it. Drivers can even pause coverage to save money.
About the role
You’re an encyclopedia of best practices when it comes to building ledger / flow of funds / payment / balance infrastructure. You’re as excited to write code as you are to whiteboard architecture and bring the team up to speed on core financial technology nuances. This is your chance to take your experience and reshape an ancient industry so that it works for - not against - its customers. You’ll have a direct hand in everything the engineering team does, using everything you’ve learned to build a best in class, on-demand insurance engine from the ground up. You’ll build technology that everyone else wants to work on.
Who are you?
- You’re passionate about changing everyday lives by fixing a broken industry
- You want to move fast and make a big impact
- You value over-communication, rapid collaboration, and candid feedback
- You want to drive product decisions with data and technology opportunities
- You like a healthy mix of organization and shipping code for the sake of learnings
- You enjoy designing thoughtful solutions in a collaborative way
- You ask about the edge cases that live between the lines of a feature spec
- You're excited to write the first lines of code for entirely new services / solutions, using best practices + first principles thinking
What will you do?
- Work alongside a leadership team that brings talent from Wall St. and high-growth consumer startups
- Build a first-of-its-kind, interactive car insurance product that varies across all 50 states
- Identify and implement engineering principles which will create a scalable, resilient product for all our customers - if our services go down, our customers face major legal penalties
- Strike a balance between speed and sustainability, building for today and for the future
- Evolve our architecture by importing emerging best practices
- Design, develop, and deploy fault-tolerant FinTech pipelines for quoting and accounting
- Create tools to help automate customer support, analytics views, and account administration
What experience do you have?
(these are not fixed requirements!)
- Domain expertise as a senior engineer in financial technology (payments, lending, banking, etc.)
- An expansive understanding of fintech best practices / design patterns / antipatterns
- Experience in delivering distributed fault-tolerant data systems