Senior Propulsion Engineer
Atlanta, GA, USA · Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2024
Hermeus is an aerospace and defense technology company founded to radically accelerate air travel by delivering hypersonic aircraft. The company aims to develop hypersonic aircraft quickly and cost-effectively by integrating hardware-rich, iterative development with modern computing and autonomy. This approach has been validated through design, build, and test of the company’s first combined turbojet-ramjet engine and is now being scaled through its first flight vehicle program, Quarterhorse. Hermeus is also developing Darkhorse — an uncrewed hypersonic aircraft designed to deliver unique asymmetric capabilities to the warfighter.
The Engines team is responsible for the engine development efforts that will propel all of Hermeus’ hypersonic vehicles. The primary focus now is on the development of Chimera, which will provide the necessary thrust for Quarterhorse to take flight in the near future.
Through multi-disciplinary efforts to develop air-breathing engines that facilitate ground take-off and flight at supersonic and hypersonic speeds, we are addressing challenges that very few engineers have the opportunity to solve and doing so at a strategic and rapid pace. It is an exciting time to join the team as we dive into the design of the first flight engines. Work and learn with motivated and passionate individuals. Let’s make some fire!
The Opportunity and How You'll Impact Hermeus:
- Own the design, analysis, manufacturing, test, certification, and flight operations of components/sub-assemblies of the engine
- Work closely with engineers and technicians over a wide range of disciplines
- Inform the growth and capabilities of the company
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering
- 5+ years of professional experience designing jet or rocket propulsion hardware using CAD and GD&T
- Responsible for hardware that was taken from concept to test (ground or flight)
- Demonstrate mastery of engineering fundamentals, particularly in the areas of combustion, thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, structural dynamics, and material science
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment in a scrappy and cost-effective manner
- Maintain a positive attitude when encounter challenging problems
- Willing to travel to support ground and flight test campaigns
- 10+ years of professional experience designing jet or rocket propulsion hardware using CAD and GD&T
- Responsible for hardware that has flown
- Professional experience designing, testing, or flying air-breathing combustors, augmentors, ignition systems, variable area nozzles, or turbomachinery
- Professional experience with Siemens Teamcenter and NX
- Professional experience with ANSYS
- Experience in the design and manufacture of alloys for high temperature applications
- Experience with additively manufactured metal alloys
- Experience with jet fuels
- Experience with the generation of work instructions and quality control associated with nonconformances
- Experience in instrumentation selection and usage for ground and flight testing
- Hands-on experience machining, welding, or integrating hardware (aerospace or other industry)
- Experience certifying hardware for flight operations
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.