Senior Flight Dynamics Engineer
Atlanta, GA, USA · Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, February 6, 2024
Hermeus is an aerospace and defense technology company founded to radically accelerate air travel by delivering hypersonic aircraft. The company aims to develop hypersonic aircraft quickly and cost-effectively by integrating hardware-rich, iterative development with modern computing and autonomy. This approach has been validated through design, build, and test of the company’s first combined turbojet-ramjet engine and is now being scaled through its first flight vehicle program, Quarterhorse. Hermeus is also developing Darkhorse — an uncrewed hypersonic aircraft designed to deliver unique asymmetric capabilities to the warfighter.
Hermeus is seeking a Flight Dynamics Engineer to join our growing Flight Sciences Team. In this role, you will perform analysis, modeling, and optimization of aircraft flying/handling qualities, subsystem dynamics, and vehicle performance for our high-speed aircraft projects. You will drive fundamental aircraft requirements from the clean-sheet design phase through analysis, build, flight test, and beyond.
- Conduct flight dynamics analysis and simulations to support the design, development, and testing of aerospace systems.
- Develop mathematical models and algorithms to characterize aircraft dynamics, subsystem dynamics, and vehicle control systems.
- Perform data processing and analysis using Python to extract insights and optimize performance.
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams to integrate flight dynamics solutions into overall system designs.
- Support flight test activities and analyze flight data to validate models and assess performance.
- Master's degree in Aerospace Engineering or related field with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience, or Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 5 years of experience.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively present technical information and drive decision making in a fast-paced, collaborative, and multi-disciplinary environment.
- Background in atmospheric flight dynamics, control systems, and performance analysis.
- Proficiency in Python and its standard libraries for data processing/analysis/visualization and simulation.
- Experience with simulation tools such as MATLAB/Simulink for dynamic system modeling & control design.
- Knowledge of FAA and Department of Defense aerospace standards regarding loads, flying qualities, and control system specification is preferred.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US Security Clearance.
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.