Propulsion Test Technician
Atlanta, GA, USA
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2023
Hermeus is an aerospace and defense technology company founded to radically accelerate air travel by delivering hypersonic aircraft. The company aims to develop hypersonic aircraft quickly and cost-effectively by integrating hardware-rich, iterative development with modern computing and autonomy. This approach has been validated through design, build, and test of the company’s first combined turbojet-ramjet engine and is now being scaled through its first flight vehicle program, Quarterhorse. Hermeus is also developing Darkhorse — an uncrewed hypersonic aircraft designed to deliver unique asymmetric capabilities to the warfighter.
At Hermeus, we are constantly iterating and integrating. We test early and often to minimize technical and program risk. We build the test campaigns that support our full range of test programs spanning development, operational and certification testing.
Hermeus is seeking a skilled Propulsion Test Technician to join our growing team. As a Propulsion Test Technician, you will be responsible for the development, maintenance, and operation of propulsion system test hardware to ensure the reliability and performance of Hermeus aircraft engines. This position will collaborate in a cross functional working environment and contribute to the development of cutting-edge aerospace technologies.
What You’ll Do as a Propulsion Test Technician
- Develop and perform routine maintenance on test equipment, including facilities and test rigs, ensuring all tools and machinery are in optimal condition for testing procedures.
- Conduct and monitor propulsion system tests, including engine assembly, pre-test checks, test initiation, and post-test teardown.
- Record and analyze test data, ensuring accuracy and completeness for further evaluation by the engineering team.
- Identify and resolve technical issues during testing, collaborating with engineers to address any anomalies or deviations from expected results.
- Maintain detailed records of test procedures, results, and any modifications made during testing for future reference and analysis.
- Adhere to safety protocols and guidelines to create a secure testing environment, mitigating potential risks during propulsion tests.
- Work closely with engineers, project managers, and other team members to provide technical support and contribute to continuous improvement initiatives.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid A&P License OR a minimum of three (3) years aviation propulsion experience
- Proficient in the use of test equipment, data acquisition systems, and hand tools.
- Familiarity with propulsion system components and their functions.
- Strong commitment to safety protocols and guidelines in an aviation testing environment.
- Strong communication skills and ability to read and provide feedback on technical documents.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced aerospace testing environment.
- Ability to work overtime and weekends as needed.
- Maintain a positive attitude when encountering challenging problems.
- Ability to travel to support ground and flight test campaigns as needed.
- Associate degree, technical or vocational training in aerospace technology or related field.
- Experience working in a startup environment and/or a new product development program.
- Three (3) or more years of jet engine test cell experience.
- A&P License is preferred, but not required.
- Experience transitioning parts/assemblies from first article to production.
- Experience with the generation of work instructions and quality control associated with nonconformance.
- Hands-on experience machining, welding, or integrating hardware (aerospace or other industry).
- Experience in tube bending for fluids systems
- Experience certifying test hardware to be used to certify flight hardware.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Safety is paramount, with stringent protocols ensuring a secure workplace. Collaboration is key, providing opportunities to work closely with a skilled team dedicated to innovation. Additionally, the role involves occasional heavy lifting, requiring the ability to lift 50 lbs. unassisted. This position may also require the ability to stand for extended periods of time (8 hours or more); ability to stoop, bend, crawl, and maneuver in tight spaces; ability to conduct repetitive movements, bending or twisting, using hands to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls; and exposure to sounds and noise levels that may be distracting.
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.