Propulsion Test Engineer
Atlanta, GA, USA · Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, December 8, 2023
Hermeus is an aerospace and defense technology company founded to radically accelerate air travel by delivering hypersonic aircraft. The company aims to develop hypersonic aircraft quickly and cost-effectively by integrating hardware-rich, iterative development with modern computing and autonomy. This approach has been validated through design, build, and test of the company’s first combined turbojet-ramjet engine and is now being scaled through its first flight vehicle program, Quarterhorse. Hermeus is also developing Darkhorse — an uncrewed hypersonic aircraft designed to deliver unique asymmetric capabilities to the warfighter.
At Hermeus, we are constantly iterating and integrating. We test early and often to minimize technical and program risk. We build the test campaigns that support our full range of test programs spanning development, operational and certification testing.
Hermeus is seeking a Propulsion Test Engineer to join our team. As a Propulsion Test Engineer at Hermeus, you will be responsible for overseeing the end-to-end testing of the world’s fastest unpiloted reusable air breathing aircraft.
What You'll Do as a Propulsion Test Engineer
- Oversee and conduct rigorous testing of advanced propulsion systems developed by the company.
- Design, implement and analyze tests to ensure the reliability, efficiency and safety of propulsion systems.
- Develop, maintain, and operate test hardware (including facilities and test rigs).
- Work closely with other engineers and technicians over a wide range of disciplines.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in a STEM subject relevant to the aviation industry.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with propulsion systems specific to the aviation industry.
- Professional experience designing fixed or rotary wing aircraft, and air-breathing propulsion systems.
- Responsible for hardware that was taken from concept to test.
- Demonstrate mastery of engineering fundamentals, particularly in the areas of combustion, thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, structural dynamics, material science, aerodynamics, and stability and control.
- Maintain a positive attitude when encountering challenging problems.
- Willing to travel to support ground and flight test campaigns.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment in a scrappy and cost-effective manner.
- Experience sizing and managing vendors to procure components and instrumentation.
- Professional experience building test rigs or facilities including air-breathing propulsion systems.
- Professional experience leading test campaigns for fixed-wing and/or rotary-wing aircraft and air-breathing combustors, augmenters, ignition systems, variable area nozzles, or turbomachinery.
- Professional experience leading failure root cause investigation.
- Professional experience with Siemens Teamcenter and NX.
- Experience with jet hydrocarbon fuels.
- Experience with the generation of work instructions and quality control associated with nonconformance.
- Experience in data and control systems (including instrumentation) and usage for ground and flight testing.
- Hands-on experience machining, welding, or integrating hardware (aerospace or other industry).
- Experience certifying test hardware to be used to certify flight hardware.
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.