Principal Flight Software Engineer
Atlanta, GA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2023
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Embedded Flight Software Engineer to join Hermeus, a hypersonic aircraft startup company. As an Embedded Flight Software Engineer, you will work closely with our hardware and systems engineers to design, develop, and implement software for our cutting-edge aircraft systems. You will be responsible for the development of embedded flight software that controls and monitors critical flight systems. You will work in a fast-paced, startup environment with a team of passionate engineers.
- Develop and maintain embedded flight software for our aircraft systems, including flight control, navigation, communication, and avionics systems.
- Collaborate with hardware engineers to ensure seamless integration of software and hardware components.
- Write efficient, high-quality, and well-documented code that meets the performance and safety requirements of the aircraft.
- Develop software requirements and design documents.
- Participate in code and design reviews to ensure high-quality software.
- Test and debug software to ensure it meets design specifications and performance requirements.
- Work with systems engineers to develop and execute system-level tests and simulations.
- Participate in the development of safety-critical software and documentation to ensure compliance with regulatory standards.
- Stay up-to-date with emerging trends and technologies in the embedded flight software field and apply them to our aircraft systems.
- Develop and maintain technical documentation.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Engineering, or a related field.
- 10+ years of experience in embedded flight software development.
- Strong programming skills in C/C++ and experience with embedded flight software development tools and methodologies.
- Experience with real-time operating systems (RTOS), low-level hardware interfaces (e.g., SPI, I2C, UART, etc.), and software development for microcontrollers.
- Familiarity with safety-critical software development processes, such as DO-178C or equivalent.
- Knowledge of avionics systems, flight control systems, and navigation systems.
- Experience with system-level testing and simulation tools.
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Experience working in a startup environment is a plus.
If you are an experienced Embedded Flight Software Engineer with a passion for aviation and safety-critical systems, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity to work in a fast-paced startup environment.
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.