Flight Test Instrumentation Engineer
Atlanta, GA, USA · Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2023
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
At Hermeus, we are constantly iterating and integrating. We test early and often to minimize technical and program risk. We build the test campaigns that support our full range of test programs spanning development, operational and certification testing.
Hermeus is seeking a highly experienced and skilled Senior Flight Test Instrumentation Engineer to join our growing team. As a Flight Test Instrumentation Engineer, you will be responsible for ensuring accurate and reliable data collection during crucial testing phases.
- Design and develop flight test instrumentation systems and equations for various Hermeus aircraft.
- Perform systems integration and test mission planning for ground and flight tests of multiple systems under test.
- Coordinate efforts with other members of cross functional teams relating to design, fabrication, modification, testing and troubleshooting of aircraft instrumentation systems.
- Determine and document aircraft installation, configuration, and integration requirements for flight test vehicle instrumentation.
- Develop and maintain processes to ensure aircraft and systems configuration control.
- Work jointly with other cross functional team members to author ground and flight test plans and procedures, including safe and logical sequencing of test conditions to satisfy program requirements.
- Ensure that test planning requirements are met.
- Perform data analysis to ensure that instrumented parameters are operating within specification.
- Provide engineering and technical support as part of the Flight Test Engineering Team.
- Must be capable of supporting off-site testing at other sites for short term (up to two months at a time) assignments.
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM subject (Master preferred)
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience in flight test instrumentation engineering, specifically in an aerospace or aviation environment.
- Proficiency in the selection, integration, and calibration of a wide range of sensors and data acquisition systems.
- Strong understanding of aircraft systems and instrumentation requirements for flight testing.
- Understanding of relevant civil and military requirements (FAR’s, MIL-STD).
- Must be eligible to obtain and maintain Top Secret clearance.
- In-depth knowledge of Real Time Telemetry, and RTT analysis tools (IADS)
- Experience with flight test safety protocols and best practices.
- Exceptional problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Proven ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to work in (and lead) a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability and willingness to learn and take on tasks outside of town area.
- Basic skills in typical engineering programming languages such as Python/MATLAB
- Ability to present effective engineering data to multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and track a wide variety of tasks and assignments.
- Experience with at least two other flight test certification programs
- Experience with large UAV’s
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.