Flight Test Engineer
Software Engineering, Quality Assurance
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2023
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
Hermeus is seeking a Senior Flight Test Engineer to join our team. As a Flight Test Engineer at Hermeus, you will play a pivotal role in the planning, execution, and analysis of flight tests for our advanced aerospace systems. You will work closely with a multidisciplinary team of engineers and technicians to ensure the safety, performance, and success of our groundbreaking projects.
- Perform systems integration and test mission planning for ground and flight tests of multiple systems under test
- Coordinate efforts with other members of cross functional teams relating to design, fabrication, modification, testing and troubleshooting of aircraft systems
- Coordinate engineering and certification activities for flight test vehicles
- Determine and document aircraft installation, configuration, and integration requirements for flight test vehicles
- Develop and maintain processes to ensure aircraft and systems configuration control
- Work jointly with other cross functional team members to author ground and flight test plans and procedures, including safe and logical sequencing of test conditions to satisfy program requirements
- Ensure that test planning requirements are met
- On-site test management, including test card generation, briefing, debriefing, documenting test results, and test analysis.
- Perform data analysis.
- Participation in flight tests as a flight crew member as required.
- Provide engineering and technical support as part of the Flight Test Operations Team
- Must be capable of supporting off-site testing at austere sites for short term (up to two months at a time) assignments.
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM subject (Master preferred)
- 5+ years of experience in aerospace or aviation, with a focus on flight testing.
- Strong understanding of aircraft systems and flight test procedures.
- Knowledge of data acquisition systems, sensors, and telemetry equipment.
- Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- A strong commitment to safety and attention to detail.
- Able to work in (and lead) a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability and willingness to learn and take on tasks outside of town area.
- Basic skills in typical engineering programming languages such as Python/MATLAB
- Ability to present effective engineering data to multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and track a wide variety of tasks and assignments.
- Experience with at least two other flight test certification programs.
- Experience with large UAV’s.
- Understanding of flight operations and air traffic management.
- Understanding of relevant civil and military requirements (FAR’s, MIL-STD).
- In-depth knowledge of Real Time Telemetry, and RTT analysis tools (IADS)
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.