Director of Flight Software Engineering
Atlanta, GA, USA
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2023
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
As the Director of Flight Software Engineering at Hermeus, you will be responsible for overseeing the software engineering function for our high-speed aircraft. Your primary focus will be on leading the design, development, and integration of software systems that enable safe and efficient operation of our high-speed aircraft. You will manage a talented team of software engineers and collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including avionics, vehicle engineering, and systems integration, to ensure seamless software integration throughout the aircraft.
- 1.Software Engineering Strategy and Leadership:
- Develop and execute the software engineering strategy aligned with the company's vision and goals.
- Provide strong leadership and guidance to the software engineering team, fostering a culture of innovation, collaboration, and excellence.
- Establish software engineering standards, processes, and best practices to ensure efficient development and certification of software systems.
- 2. Software System Design and Development:
- Lead the design, development, and optimization of software systems for high-speed aircraft, including flight controls, mission management, navigation, and communication systems.
- Ensure compliance with industry standards and regulatory requirements for software development in aerospace applications.
- Collaborate closely with avionics and vehicle engineering teams to ensure seamless integration and performance of software systems.
- 3. Software Architecture and Integration:
- Define software architecture and interface specifications for the overall aircraft system.
- Coordinate with cross-functional teams to ensure proper integration of software systems with avionics, vehicle subsystems, and ground support infrastructure.
- Drive continuous improvement in software architecture, scalability, reliability, and maintainability.
- 4. Quality Assurance and Testing:
- Establish and implement software testing methodologies, including unit testing, integration testing, and system-level verification.
- Develop and maintain rigorous quality assurance processes to ensure the safety and reliability of software systems.
- Collaborate with certification and regulatory bodies to ensure compliance with relevant software standards.
- 5. Team Management and Development:
- Recruit, build, and manage a high-performing software engineering team.
- Provide mentorship, guidance, and professional development opportunities for software engineers.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive work environment that promotes creativity, innovation, and continuous learning.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field (advanced degree preferred).
- Extensive experience (7+ years) in software engineering, with a focus on developing complex software systems for aerospace applications.
- Management experience including interviewing and professional development.
- Proven track record in leading and managing software engineering teams in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Deep understanding of software development lifecycle, methodologies, and best practices.
- Familiarity with industry standards and regulations related to software development in aviation, such as DO-178C.
- Proficiency in programming languages, software tools, and technologies commonly used in aerospace software development.
- Strong knowledge of system integration, software architecture, and interface design principles.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and team-building skills.
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.