Principal Systems Engineer - Hypersonic Mission Systems Integration - DC
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2023
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
The Hermeus Product Team is responsible for ensuring Hermeus-developed hypersonic aircraft can successfully meet future mission requirements for defense partners. As an integral member of the Product Team, the Principal systems engineer will collaborate across multiple teams to ensure that Hermeus aircraft can operate as an integrated system and successfully execute defense concept of operations (CONOPs). Successful systems engineers will be able to distill CONOPs into tangible engineering requirements, identify technical constraints with internal engineering teams, engage potential external vendors, and manage the overall air vehicle integration with key mission systems.
In addition to leading development and integration efforts on complex mission systems, successful candidates will also support product outreach efforts, engagements with the Department of Defense (DoD), and request for information (RFI) / request for proposals (RFP) write-ups.
For Hermeus, leveraging hypersonic aircraft to address government needs is a critical step in the path toward safely and comfortably flying passengers at Mach 5. As a member of the team, you will support Hermeus’ efforts to represent our company’s vision externally with government stakeholders, identify opportunities to deepen Hermeus’ national security work, and effectively interface with our engineering teams as we build the world’s fastest aircraft.
We’re creating a diverse team with one overarching goal – advancing government partnerships to accelerate the development and fielding of hypersonic aircraft. Come join us and build a faster future!
About the Role:
- Lead the design and integration of mission systems on DoD aircraft, including radars, sensors, navigation, communications, and other critical systems.
- Analyze system requirements and constraintsto identify, modify, or develop solutions that meet operational needs and ensure the highest levels of safety and reliability.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams both internal to Hermeus and with external partners to develop open / modular system architectures, interface requirements, and performance metrics.
- Develop and execute integrated test plans and procedures to validate system-level performance and compliance with requirements.
- Manage the integration of new systems and components into Hermeus aircraft, ensuring compatibility and maintaining system performance.
- Develop external vendor partnerships and manage these relationships throughout the development, integration, and test cycle
- Support Business Development and government relations teams on outreach and proposal efforts.
- Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering, Systems Engineering, or related field; advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in aircraft systems engineering, including at least 4 years of experience with DoD aircraft systems.
- Demonstrated experience leading cross-functional teams to develop and integrate complex aircraft systems.
- Strong knowledge of aircraft mission systems, including EO/IR targeting, radars, navigation, and communications.
- Knowledge of relevant DoD and FAA regulations and requirements for flight.
- Experience with development, simulation, and testing tools.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to convey technical information as simple, easily understood concepts.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Active Top-Secret security clearance is preferred
- Advanced degree (master’s and up) in Aerospace Engineering, Systems Engineering, or related field is preferred.
- Experience working on fighter, bomber, or autonomous aircraft is preferred.
- Ability to support work travel (up to 30-40%)
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.