Senior Facility Manager, Cal Forest
Etna, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2023
About Mast Reforestation (Mast):
As the leading end-to-end reforestation company in the U.S., Mast is on a mission to make reforestation scalable. As bigger and hotter fires destroy more forestland every year, Mast provides faster and more resilient forest restoration for landowners impacted by devastating wildfires. Mast also provides everything from collecting native, diverse seed species to site prep, planting, and ongoing monitoring, using carbon and project financing to cover the costs for landowners. Mast is the only vertically-integrated reforestation company that has removed the financial, procedural, and seed supply barriers that typically stand in the way of getting reforestation done. By assembling a first-of-its-kind tech-enabled reforestation supply chain and adding trusted forestry companies Silvaseed and Cal Forest to its portfolio, Mast has expanded to become both the largest seed bank and reforestation container stock producer in the Western U.S. Mast is also an innovation center for the non-timber supply chain for reforestation, developing various biological and technical products for achieving land management goals more efficiently. To learn more, visit www.mastreforest.com.
Check out our recent reforestation project.
(or click this Vimeo link: https://vimeo.com/843967328)
If our work thrills and inspires you, we’d love to receive your application!
Cal Forest Nurseries, Inc., as one of the largest employers in our community, welcomes you to come and visit our valley, and join our team. A good life begins with good company!
What you’ll be doing as the Senior Facility Manager:
As the Sr. Manager of Facilities at Cal Forest, you will report directly to the General Managers and you will oversee our seed plant and nursery operations in Etna and Fort Jones, CA, including a seed bank. Our two facilities comprise a regional complex of greenhouses and support facilities including offices, seed plants, cooler/freezer systems, and greenhouses, all supporting the front end of high-volume forest regeneration product development. With an anticipated growth of 2-3x in output over the next 36 months, your role will be to ensure that our staff of 40+ team members operates in a safe and functional environment to maximize their daily productivity. Cal Forest Nurseries is the crown jewel of California reforestation and serves 10 other western states. This is an incredible opportunity for a mid-career facilities manager with exceptional leadership and organizational skills to build a modern and high-impact program.
- Own responsibility for all of Cal Forest Nurseries infrastructure
- Prioritize maintenance tickets to align facilities work in support of growing operations
- Manage and direct the work of a team of maintenance professionals
- Supervise high uptime and efficiency of forklifts and vehicles
- Maintain asset/parts/inventory ticketing system
- Implement preventative maintenance program
- Analyze repair/replace protocols for projects
- Adhere to safety and security guidelines
- Integrate safety SOPs after construction completion
- Support expansion projects by selecting contractors, budgeting, and supervising project timeline
- Obtain relevant permits and anticipate potential causes of delay during construction
- Plan for utilization of current buildings and manage, remodel, and renovate as needed
- Work with nursery management to plan for future expansion
- Coordinate repair and maintenance work assignments with contractors and suppliers
- Review invoices for billing procedures
- Handle service requests from different departments and drive strategic triage in support of business priorities
- Ensure building space is clean, furnished, safe, organized, and in working order at all times
- Anticipate potential facilities’ needs and concerns
- Develop positive working relationships with different departments
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Strong business acumen to help link maintenance and fleet to nursery crop and company objectives
- Excellent judgment with a clear “safety-first” mentality, and a commitment to a safe work environment that promotes equity, inclusion, and diversity
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Superb stakeholder engagement skills: capable of communicating with people at all levels. Know how to navigate within the organization composed of long-tenure employees and leverage their knowledge
- Effective process evaluation and problem-solving skills
- Proven reliability and team-oriented work ethic. Equally effective both as a leader and an individual contributor
- Customer service mindset - prioritizing based on the availability of the resources and budget
- Computer skills and knowledge of data entry
- Able to stand for long periods, reach and bend
- Able to move and lift items of up to 50lbs
- Well-organized, detail-oriented, and data-driven
- A valid driver's license is required
- 10 years of experience with high-performance facility and construction management in the agriculture sector, such as agricultural development, horticulture, or parallel industries in plant production
- Experience with greenhouse systems and operations
- Experience with HVAC, cooling and freezing infrastructure
- Skills for troubleshooting mechanical, electrical, and plumbing infrastructure for appropriate professional/certified vendor delegation
- Fleet management experience (tractors, trucks, and other motorized vehicles)
- Experience with greenhouse construction, previously working at engineering consulting firms or PMP credentials
- Working knowledge of managing CEA facilities
Why working & living in Scott Valley / Siskiyou County:
Scott Valley, located in Siskiyou County, CA., is nestled among three mountain ranges in one of the most beautiful parts of Northern California. Within the valley are the small towns of Fort Jones, Greenview, Etna and Callahan. The valley and its surroundings are known for its outdoor adventures, including hiking, fishing, the Pacific Crest Trail, swimming, skiing and community events, such as our farmer’s market and music festivals. There are many family farms and ranches that create a diverse agricultural community. We have fine restaurants, that include locally sourced farm to table ingredients and entertainment venues.
Scott Valley Unified School District is comprised of two preschools, two K-5 schools, 6-8 junior high school, a comprehensive 9-12 high school, and a continuation high school, and two community day schools. Both of the elementary schools are a California Distinguished School, one is a Title 2 Academic Achievement Award winner, and the high school has a six-year WASC accreditation.
Scott Valley is a wonderful place to work and raise children in a safe and clean environment. This community is a short drive away from Southern Oregon which includes Ashland, the home of the Shakespearean Festival and Southern Oregon University.
Cal Forest is only an hour away from Mt. Shasta and Mt. Ashland for more fun!
Mast Reforestation, Silvaseed & Cal Forest offer:
- Competitive salary
- Location-based compensation
- 75% health insurance coverage for Full-Time non-seasonal employees, including Medical, Dental & Vision insurance plans
- Company’s incentive stock options (ISO) for eligible employee groups
- Retirement saving plan: 401(k) and Roth 401(k)
- Commuter Benefits in eligible cities
- 6 paid holidays. Two shut-down weeks per year.
- Flexible PTO for Salaried employees. Generous PTO accrual for Hourly employees.
- Allowances for out-of-state employees
- Relocation support for out-of-state employees