Director of Origination (WA/OR region)
Seattle, WA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2023
About Mast Reforestation:
Mast Reforestation is working to make reforestation scalable. We combine tech and traditional forestry methods to reforest land affected by wildfires with forward-looking carbon offsets to fund it all. The company is a vertically-integrated provider of reforestation services to get projects up and running in weeks, not years: planning, the largest seed and seedling supplies in the West, massive nursery operations, and seeding and planting execution. To fund its operations and open new revenue streams for landowners, Mast Reforestation sells forward-looking carbon offsets that lock in CO2 removal for at least 100 years, among the first of their kind available on the voluntary offset market.
Mast Reforestation HQ: Ballard Brewery District, Seattle, WA
Silvaseed HQ: Roy, WA
Cal Forest HQ: Etna, CA
Team size: ~160
Clients: 3 of 5 largest timber companies, nonprofits such as The Nature Conservancy, Tribal Nations, state and federal agencies, small family forests
TL:DR? Check out this Ecopreneurs video by Salesforce.
If our work thrills and inspires you, we’d love to receive your application!
What you'll be doing:
Mast Reforestation is hiring a Director of Origination to identify and drive strategic pipeline growth and project development targets for reforestation carbon projects for landowners who have suffered catastrophic wildfire loss. Reporting to the Chief Revenue Officer, the primary responsibility includes developing relationships with landowners, land managers, foresters, and agencies to generate qualified carbon projects. While the primary role will be acquiring customers for the Company, this individual will also work with other departments (Client Solutions, Forestry Operations, GIS, etc.) to identify, qualify, and negotiate reforestation projects leveraging the Company’s vertically-integrated platform for reforestation. The outcome of your work will be the advancement of carbon offset projects that will result in thousands of legally protected acres of forest while removing thousands of tonnes of carbon from the atmosphere over the ensuing decades as the forest recovers from catastrophic wildfire. The ideal candidate will have an existing network of industry relationships that can be immediately leveraged to source strategic acquisition and partnership opportunities and have a proven track record with 10+ years of timber, restoration, or comparable forest industry experience highly desired. Seniority level will be based on candidate experience.
- Lead the origination of reforestation carbon projects in a geography with a proven track record closing transactions
- Support inbound and outbound lead generation through in-person meetings, sales calls/emails and networking events
- Ability to persistently and productively research, contact and engage warm and cold sales leads and be customer obsessed
- Working with Client Solutions, migrate prospect through a series of affirmatory document milestones, culminating in an executed Project Development Agreement
- Maintain industry relationships, identify market trends, track policy developments, evaluate business strategies, and screen competitor offerings to be strategically relevant to prospects
- Work to understand the needs of prospects and develop sale propositions to meet those needs and overcome objections
- Facilitate internal and external subject matter experts to provide evaluations, analyses, or reports that support business opportunities
- Maintain collegial and supportive relationships with colleagues who will be directly managing direct and indirect relationships that have arisen from sales engagement
- Daily review and management of existing deal pipeline with a sense of urgency
- 10+ years of increasingly progressive project origination experience
- Experience in the forest industry in a business development capacity preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in forestry, natural resources, business, planning, engineering, or real estate-related fields
- Deep understanding of project development, project lifecycle, financial models, value chains, and familiarity and confidence in landowner negotiations
- Ability to manage and support multiple projects simultaneously, with varying complexity
- Experience working with an interdisciplinary team on complex and multi-phase projects
- Highly personable and comfortable having a conversation on the phone or in person connecting customer need to the Company’s solutions
- Experience in CRM platforms like Salesforce
- Self-motivated with the ability to work remotely effectively with minimal supervision
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced start-up team environment
- Excellent people, entrepreneurial, organizational, and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and experience in public speaking are a must
- Effective computer skills, including Google Workspace and/or Microsoft suite
- Able to travel to remote locations up to 50% of the time
The compensation package includes a base salary and an incentive package. As of April 2023, the geo-located base salary for this role falls within this band: $100,000 - 125,000 p.a. plus significant incentive compensation. Final salary and job title will be determined based on the individual's relevant experience, skill level and geography.
Mast Reforestation and its subsidiaries offer:
- Competitive salary
- Location-based compensation
- 75% health insurance coverage for Full-Time non-seasonal employees, including Medical, Dental & Vision insurance plans
- Company’s incentive stock options (ISO)
- Retirement saving plan: 401(k) and Roth 401(k)
- Commuter Benefits in eligible cities
- 6 paid holidays. Two shut-down weeks per year.
- Flexible PTO for Salaried employees. Generous PTO accrual for Hourly employees.
- Allowances for Work-from-home employees
- Relocation support for out-of-state employees
See more open positions at DroneSeed
Something looks off?