Senior Frontend Engineer
Default.com is a stealthy San Francisco-based startup building a compound startup for the inbound sales funnel. We're well-funded by the same investors who backed Uber, Airbnb, Pipe, Slack, SpaceX and operators at companies like Ramp, Shopify, Airtable, and Figma.
We spent the last several years working with tools like HubSpot, Typeform, Mailchimp, Customer.io, and Zapier, and thought there had to be a better way to connect with our best customers, faster.
We're a small team of 8 that ships fast. We care about building a real, revenue-generating business and helping our customers find their best customers. If you like the idea of making a real impact with a small but agile team, we'd love to chat!
Here are a few things we value on the technical side of Default:
- Engineer advocacy: The happiness of our engineers (read: our lifeblood) is a top priority. We strongly encourage feedback and suggestions about how we do things, and ways to improve — processes, tools, anything. We want this to be a place where engineers love to work, and we want to stay that way forever! You'll have the opportunity to shape this.
- Shipping: Default's agility is directly tied to its success and, thus, the success of our users. We are committed to shipping high-quality, mission-critical product at high velocity.
- Experience obsession: We believe we owe our users a wonderful experience, and this drives how we approach engineering, product, design.
- Curiosity: We believe the best way to build a company is to ask a lot of questions, and have as much context as possible when making decisions. We value questions, curiosity, and a beginner's mind.
What You'll Do
We're looking to bring on a skilled candidate who will help in building out, supporting, and taking ownership of critical pieces of the Default product. You will be encouraged to steer the ship with your feedback and input. The product plays an important role for our customers and is rapidly developing alongside user feedback, so this is an exciting, fast-paced environment. This is emphasized by Default being a "full build" company, creating an extra-exciting environment with multiple frontend applications and increased depth, much earlier.
For this role, we're looking for someone with a deep understanding of frontend architecture and priorities at the early stage. Specifically, you will want to be comfortable navigating optionality and looking into the future to make good decisions. You will be responsible for supporting a scalable and performant foundation for our frontend applications, and being opinionated on where, when, and how to eliminate any existing (and future) technical debt.
Finally, part of your role will involve mentoring other frontend-focused engineers by reviewing their code and enhancing their understanding of what makes our frontend applications exceptional, as well as ensuring effective execution of those principles. This will include working with them to refine existing frontend code standards and patterns, and establishing new ones.
Characteristics You'll Bring
- The ideal candidate is creative, and has great product sense; you're comfortable thinking outside the box to get past limitations.
- The ideal candidate is open-minded but opinionated; you will be encouraged to voice your opinion so the team can work together to make great decisions.
- The ideal candidate is adaptive; you're willing to learn new skills or try new things in order to help build an enduring company.
- The ideal candidate is comfortable moving at a faster pace; it may not always be clear exactly what's next, but that excites and motivates you rather than frightens you.
- Frontend: React (TypeScript), Next.js
- Backend: Node.js (TypeScript) + Supabase (PostgreSQL) + NestJS
- Infrastructure: AWS + Vercel
Location: New York City / Remote
Something looks off?