Director Corporate Development, Search and Evaluation
Day One Biopharmaceuticals
Remote · Sterling, VA, USA
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
Director Corporate Development, Search & Evaluation
Day One Biopharmaceuticals is an emerging, mission-driven, drug development company intentionally designed to identify, clinically evaluate, and successfully commercialize novel treatments for pediatric oncology patients, and ultimately to expand those benefits to patients of all ages. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.dayonebio.com.
The Director Seach & Evaluation will create meaningful business impact by helping shape the course of the company’s future growth. This position will report to the SVP Corporative development. The role will identify, evaluate, and recommend oncology assets to license or acquire in order to create value for patients. This position will be a part of a dynamic team which works across the entire organization and has high visibility with Senior Management. The successful candidate will have a strong scientific background in cancer biology, experience in oncology drug development, and has a desire to learn the business principles and market dynamics that drive the Pharma and Biotech sectors. The position provides a unique opportunity for individuals to leverage their deep scientific training while gaining experience and mentorship in a key aspect of business development.
This position has the potential to be fully remote. Occasional travel will be required for in person meetings. Travel 25-30%, including some international.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Establishing, leading and maintaining comprehensive screening processes and coordinating multifunctional assessments of external opportunities
· Building solid working relationships with key opinion leaders in the oncology space
· Evaluating novel oncology targets based on published literature and unpublished studies
· Collaborating with expert teams made up of scientific, clinical, commercial, regulatory, financial and legal experts to evaluate external opportunities and drive decision-making
· Working closely with expert teams to identify, summarize and mitigate risks associated with external opportunities which are advanced
· Supporting completion of transactions by collaborating with transaction leads
· Acting as a primary point of contact and "external face" to a potential partner throughout the screening and possibly transaction process
· Building, maintaining and leveraging a broad network of potential partners
· Leading regular internal meetings to discuss and prioritize opportunities
· Establishing and maintaining proprietary databases related to targets, programs and clinical trials of interest
· A PhD or MD/PhD with strong knowledge in cancer biology, proven project and people leadership skills, and 8+ years of industry experience
· Proven project and people leadership skills
· Keen scientific acumen with strong knowledge of the Oncology landscape (including targets and modalities), emerging science, drug discovery and development processes, industry trends and competitive environment
· Understanding of business development processes with experience in licensing drug candidates in various stages of development as well as enabling technologies
· Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, with ability to prioritize while balancing many projects but openness to shift priorities and manage the unknown
· History of working in complex team environments with diverse stakeholders and ability to build collaborative working relationships throughout all levels of the organization
· Demonstrated project management and leadership skills to lead/manage cross functional teams in evaluating partnering opportunities and producing high quality output of due diligence findings to enable decision-making
· Effective communication, cross functional thinking, and problem-solving skills along with strong scientific understanding and business acumen to engage with internal stakeholders and external partners
· Ability to synthesize complex information into succinct and effective storylines
· Strong self-motivation and work ethic and ability to work independently and in a dynamic team environment across multiple functional areas
· Confidence in presenting to management
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $220,000 - $240,000. Day One considers a range of factors when determining base compensation. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary.
Please visit https://www.dayonebio.com/benefits to see our competitive benefits.
Day One Biopharmaceuticals is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Employment is conditioned upon full vaccination from the COVID-19 virus, including submission of documented proof thereof, as of the start date. Day One Biopharmaceuticals will comply with applicable law regarding the reasonable accommodation of individuals who are not vaccinated because of a disability and/or a sincerely held religious belief.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Day One Biopharmaceuticals does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to Day One Biopharmaceuticals or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Day One Biopharmaceutical’s internal HR team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of Day One Biopharmaceuticals, and Day One Biopharmaceuticals will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.