Lead Interaction Designer
Bumblebee Spaces is a startup that is accelerating the transition to more sustainable and efficient living. We make modular robots that transform square footage to cubic footage by storing your bed and belongings in the ceiling, freeing up room for exercise, work, leisure, and more. You can find our system in homes throughout major cities including New York and San Francisco. See the magic of Bumblebee here and here.
As the lead interaction designer at the company, you will craft all experiences and touchpoints between residents and the Bumblebee system, including a beautiful and intuitive mobile interface, dynamic and fluid voice interactions, and an elegant control panel. You will work closely with every team in the company, including software, hardware, electrical, marketing, architectural, and sales.
We are a group of gritty and passionate people who are constantly iterating, improving, and collaborating on the product to deliver the best possible experience to our residents. If you want to shape the future of how people live with technology, we’d love to hear from you.
Our ideal candidate will
- Have a strong and refined sense of visual design, color, and typography
- Advocate for simplicity, intuitiveness, and unobtrusive ways people can live with Bumblebee.
- Have a deep curiosity about how people use space, how complex systems work together, and how Bumblebee’s technology can change the way people live.
- Be a relentless problem solver who creatively and rationally provides tangible solutions to achieve a better customer experience.
- Have an ability to make considered decisions with imperfect information and fluid constraints.
- Be a customer expert who acts as the bridge between the company and its residents.
- Be a strong communicator who can clearly articulate design decisions to everyone, even those unfamiliar with design, and inspire a vision for the company to move towards.
- Care deeply about pixel perfection, but be sensible enough to make tradeoffs to deliver improvements and features to customers in a timely manner.
- Wear multiple hats and be able to jump into executing or maintaining various graphic materials
- Expert in Figma workflows: capable of managing design systems, components, auto-layout, and multiple size classes
- Proficient in Adobe Suite: Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
- Examples of refined interfaces prototyped with advanced tools like Framer X, Origami, Protopie, Principle.
- Deep understanding of common interface components like list view, scroll view, pinch and zoom, swiper, etc.
- Have a strong portfolio of work featuring refined interface designs and prototypes that showcase attention to detail and meaningful motion design.
- Understanding of iOS / Android systems and the nuances between the platforms.
We are relentless in solving the problem at hand, pulling in different people to help us find answers, gain understanding, and make key decisions.
Constantly learn and ask questions
At Bumblebee, the magic is a combination of both hardware and software. We bring our curiosity everyday and ask lots of questions about each other’s work - not to poke holes, but to better understand the entirety of the product.
Look for feedback
We are a team with very different backgrounds and experiences. We constantly seek each other’s opinions and uncover new insights and ideas.
Find order in chaos
We see new challenges and problems as opportunities to improve our process, perspective, and insights about our customers.