PLC Software Engineer
We are looking for someone who demonstrates:
- Passionate customer focus
- Thoughtful, fast, disciplined execution
- Detail oriented
- Able to work independently and part of a team when needed
- Interest in exploring and pushing the boundaries of material-handling robotics
- The Engineer in this role will work with a multidisciplinary team to integrate software that controls physical components, contributing to robotic applications related to e-commerce order fulfillment, parcel sortation and store replenishment.
- The Engineer in this role will be responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining software that integrates and enhances robotic capabilities to deliver product features.
- The Engineer in this role will create software responsible for facilitating communications between PLCs and other embedded devices, with higher-level application software.
Here is some of what you’ll do:
- Work as part of a team to develop software solutions for automated material-handling workflows and robotic manipulation systems
- Lead selection, prototyping, and initial design of new sensing options (e.g. barcode scanners, beam-breaks, pressure sensors, force sensors, etc.)
- Work with customers to define and scope material-handling problems
- Record and analyze numerical and graphical data for presentation to senior leadership
- Troubleshoot early-stage and early-production design and functionality problems
- 5+ years experience in software development.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Commercial experience in a fast paced, Agile environment
- Proficient in Python and/or C++
- Experience with industrial ethernet protocols such as PROFINET and/or EtherNet/IP
- Hands-on technical experience PLC programming in one or more of the following:
- Siemens Simatic Step 7 (TIA Portal)
- Rockwell Automation (Studio5000)
- Linux (Ubuntu)
- VCS (Git)
- Issue Tracking Systems (Jira)
- Experience creating middleware, abstraction layers and APIs for industrial protocols (Profinet, Ethernet/IP, ModbusTCP, OPC-UA)
- Hands-on experience with real-time industrial automation systems and common controls architecture.
- Experience with robotics and robotic solutions
- Experience with one or more of the following:
○ Messaging Systems (gRPC, Kafka)
○ Asynchronous/Concurrent Programming
○ CI/CD processes (Jenkins, Automated Testing)
Educational Requirements: Bachelors degree Computer Science or a similar field.