Senior Design Reliability Engineer
Alameda, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, April 7, 2023
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
The Mission Assurance team at Astra is responsible for the quality, safety, and reliability of our products and processes. We work closely with our counterparts in design engineering, supply chain, production, and test to ensure that the products that leave our doors are of the highest quality and meet or exceed our customers' expectations. Our north star is ensuring a successful mission for every one of our customers.
The Senior Design Reliability Engineer role is a critical member of our launch system development team. You will be intimately involved in the design of our launch vehicle from the very beginning, and you will help define qualification test plans for a diverse range of critical hardware, ensuring that our rocket is ready for a successful launch by the time it reaches the launch pad. You will serve as the company's DFMEA subject matter expert and help drive both the identification and mitigation of the launch vehicle's top failure modes.
How You’ll Fulfill Your Mission
- Perform Design Failure Mode Effects & Analysis (DFMEA) at the system- and component-level to identify mitigations for top failure modes
- Drive implementation of failure mitigations through testing, re-design, redundancy, software, process controls, etc.
- Develop qualification test plans for hardware and review others' qualification test plans, with a focus on test-like-you-fly principles
- Collaborate with design teams throughout the design cycle, including participating in Design Reviews and Qualification Reviews
- Identify risks and hazards and work with the quality, safety, and design engineering teams to assess acceptability for flight.
- 4+ years of experience as a design, systems, and/or reliability engineer
- Experience in an industry with stringent reliability requirements (automotive, aerospace, medical, etc.) required
- Experience with high-performance metallic structures, fluid systems, electronic assemblies, and/or control software
- You partner seamlessly with other engineering and test personnel
- You are eager to jump in & learn how we test and fly our rocket, and bring skills and knowledge that will help us do it better
- Experience with Design Failure Mode & Effects Analysis (DFMEA)
- Experience planning and/or performing tests on complex hardware
- You have experience with engineering requirements and verifications
- Possess strong critical-thinking skills combined with the ability to break down complex technical problems into digestible component parts
- Attention to detail and a passion for being complete, thorough, and comprehensive
- You have the professional self-esteem and confidence to “push back” on peers and executives when necessary
- You are an energetic individual with excellent communication skills (written and oral) and can distill complex concepts to a lay-person
- Previous experience with launch vehicles or spacecraft
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
See more open positions at Astra
Something looks off?