Sr. Software Engineer—Middleware
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2023
Apex.AI is seeking a skilled Software Engineer to join our Engineering team. As a Middleware Engineer, you will be responsible for building a high-performance and dependable middleware for automotive and other domains. You enjoy working collaboratively internally to integrate the middleware Apex.Ida into our Apex.Grace products and into customer’s products that make it into production. To be successful in this role, you are extremely skilled with C++ and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
This is a hybrid role located in our Munich or Berlin offices. Work authorization in Germany is required.
What You’ll Do—Responsibilities
- Work with the entire spectrum of software development, from understanding our customers’ needs, through design and implementation to testing and documentation
- Implement new features within the full range between user APIs and interfaces to specific operating systems
- Realize data transfers via shared memory or wired and wireless connections
- Contribute to the open-source projects ROS, Eclipse Cyclone DDS and Eclipse iceoryx
- Interact with the related open-source communities
- Work in a distributed team of highly skilled software engineers
- Work collaboratively with the other teams on integrating the middleware Apex.Ida in our Apex.Grace product and into customer frameworks
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field or equivalent work experience
- Strong skills coding in modern C++
- Previous experience working with network protocols and inter-process communication
- Previous experience working in a Linux environment
- Willingness to make design decisions with imperfect information
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Desire to work collaboratively, rather than competitively
Great to Have
- ROS2 experience
- DDS experience
- Experience with QNX
- Previous experience working with real-time operating systems
Apex.AI is a Palo Alto, Berlin, Stuttgart, Munich and Gothenburg-based company that is developing breakthrough safe, certified, developer-friendly, and scalable software for mobility systems. Our software products are based on proven open-source software, such as ROS or Eclipse iceoryx, so that we don’t spend time redeveloping what already works. Instead, we fork software that has been developed and proven in use by large developer communities. We then add what is missing: Functional safety, flawless performance, and support for application in commercial and safety-critical products. In order to do so, we have developed a proprietary process to rework open-source software in record time such that it conforms to the highest requirements of the applicable functional safety standard.
Distinguished by our experienced and agile team, we bring in the right pedigree: Expertise in modern software engineering to build software that scales to massive systems, leading know-how in software functional safety to make software reliable, experience bringing software to market so that we know what to takes to build actual products, and twenty-plus years of experience building autonomous systems so that we can take the perspective of our customers and know their needs.
We launched our award-winning first product Apex.Grace after three years in 2020 and have taken it through certification in record time for launch in 2021. We have more in the pipeline to revolutionize the use of software in the automotive industry.