Principal Data Engineer
Mountain View, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2023
Aeva’s mission is to bring the next wave of perception to a broad range of applications from automated driving to industrial robotics, consumer electronics, consumer health, security, and beyond. Aeva is transforming autonomy with its groundbreaking sensing and perception technology that integrates all key LiDAR components onto a silicon photonics chip in a compact module. Aeva 4D LiDAR sensors uniquely detect instant velocity in addition to 3D position, allowing autonomous devices like vehicles and robots to make more intelligent and safe decisions.
The Data Platform team at Aeva is responsible for delivering end-to-end data solutions, providing crucial insights that impact operational and strategic functions. Integrated view of manufacturing data to track key performance, engineering and operations metrics is a significant projective for Aeva’s path to manufacturing Lidar products.
We are seeking a skilled Principal Data Engineer to join our dynamic team. In this role, you will play a critical part in shaping our data platform infrastructure to align well with the business and engineering objectives.
What you will be doing:
- Data Infrastructure:
- Setting up and optimizing cloud data warehouse and database assets (schemas, access control, compute clusters, scaling policies) for optimal cost-performance tradeoffs based on business needs.
- Establishing and maintaining robust data ingestion processes from various sources including manufacturing assembly, test and inspection stations, qualification systems, Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES), and internal web applications.
- Working with stakeholders to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Maintain and improve serverless architecture, including migration of legacy on-prem services.
- Data Modeling and Transformation:
- Establishing and improving data architecture and models according to various operational and analytical use cases for different business units.
- Developing and maintaining scalable data models using dbt.
- Collaborating closely with BI engineers to ensure data solutions are reliable and optimized for performance.
- Understanding and translating business requirements into data models supporting long-term solutions.
- Data Governance and Quality:
- Leading the initiative in establishing a data governance strategy.
- Implementing frameworks to ensure data quality and consistency across the data pipeline.
- Project Management and Scoping:
- Scoping new projects, setting up priorities and dependencies in collaboration with the Data Engineering Manager.
- Adhering to a loose version of agile project management with bi-weekly sprints.
- API and Web Application Development:
- Maintaining and optimizing existing APIs exposing data warehouse tables.
- Collaborating with full-stack engineers on internal web applications allowing business users to interact with the database and S3.
What you have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field; or equivalent work experience.
- 7+ years of experience in data management.
- Advanced knowledge of database and data warehouse systems set up and management.
- Advanced proficiency in SQL and Python.
- Experience with AWS services including RDS, S3, Lambda, and API Gateway.
- Experience with serverless architectures for data pipelines.
- Proficiency in containerization and orchestration technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes, with a solid understanding of container architecture and its role in developing scalable, efficient, and portable data pipelines and applications.
- Experience implementing and managing robust logging systems to monitor, troubleshoot, and optimize data operations and infrastructure.
- Experience with “infrastructure as code” using tools like AWS Cloud Formation or Terraform.
- Excellent communication and project management skills.
Nice to haves:
- Hands on experience with Snowflake and dbt.
- Experience with on-premises to cloud migrations.
- Understanding of hardware development/manufacturing business logic.
- Keywords: AWS, dbt, SQL, Snowflake, data modeling, data warehouse, Tableau, Python
What's in it for you:
- Be part of a fast paced and dynamic team
- Very competitive compensation and meaningful equity!
- Exceptional benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, and more!
- Unlimited PTO: Take all the time you need.
- Paid lunches, ping pong tournaments, and fun team off-sites!